OS with homeless in city park?

avner avnerh at zahav.net.il
Mon Apr 2 05:56:28 PDT 2007

Agout 4 years ago, Tova and I opened a 4 hours space for a group of very poor people who were demonstrating aginst the poverty situation in Israel. They penetrated a large square in the Middle of the rich neighborhoods of Tel Aviv and lived there for months in sort of tents and pieces of cloths. They called the place `The bread square` (a loaf of bread in hebrew is also a village square)

We were part of a group who visited and were trying to help them. An OS with them and their supporters seemed to be interesting for them so we did it there in the open. The side of an old bus, in which their leader was living, served as the Market place.

The about  30 people who participated were engaged but as far as remember the ones who actually took it into actions were mainly the supporters

Avner Haramati
Jerusalem