angry feedback : the Moscow process

Wendy Farmer-O'Neil wendy at xe.net
Tue Apr 10 12:00:05 PDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to share my experience of the process in Moscow. Here’s the
long story:

About a week before my departure to Moscow I received a request from Lisa
Heft asking if I would carry the invitation from San Francisco for the
OSonOS 2007.  I replied that I would be honoured and delighted to do that,
but would need some more information to do the best job I could.  Lisa and I
attempted to get in touch many times in the small space of time before the
Moscow event, but we never managed to connect.   Lisa is a remarkable woman
whom I deeply respect—and so I did the best I could with what I knew.  Lisa
also asked and trusted me to be sensitive to whatever energy might emerge at
the event itself.

And energy did emerge.  We were all astounded at the quality of the
invitation put forward by three very professional women from Ukraine,
including Yana.  They spelled out many benefits of holding the next event in
Ukraine.  They were well-informed and responsive to our questions and
concerns.  We did not feel hijacked.  There was no bullying.  There was
tremendous energy and positive spirit.

Over the three days of the conference, we had come to know these women well.
We were impressed by the quality of work they were doing in Ukraine.  Amazed
at how much space they were opening in all sorts of arenas from business to
social service to government.  We thought that the world community could
benefit from exposure to this remarkable energy and growth that is happening
with OS in Ukraine.

We also had to confront some serious issues.  When we asked who could come
to San Francisco, and let me be clear, this was not who wanted to come, but
who would literally be able to enter the country.  Only those of us from
Western countries raised our hands (8 out of about 60 present).  When asked
who could come to Ukraine, all raised their hands.  This raised a huge
question for me—one that burns still—in this political climate can North
America issue a truly international invitation?  (Galina was unable to
obtain a visa to enter Canada in order to present the Moscow bid herself.)

It was not an easy decision and one not lightly made.  It was made after
significant conversation and thought—all civil, respectful and inclusive of
all the invitations presented and all those present.

Yana is an intelligent, delightful, professional, hard-working woman doing
excellent work in youth justice in Ukraine.  To see her treated with
disrespect verging on hatred is distressing.

Wendy

Wendy Farmer-O'Neil

Prospera Communications & Consulting Services

250.713.2351/1.800.713.2351

weblog: www.wordgravity.blogspot.com

10:59 PM