FW: [OSLIST] whatever happens...

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Apr 24 07:30:32 PDT 2007

From: Deborah Hartmann [mailto:deborah at hartmann.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 10:23 AM
To: hhowen at verizon.net
Subject: Re: [OSLIST] whatever happens...

 > Life, of course, is filled with throwaways. Some stick around and
others depart.

The wording of this makes me think of the (apocryphal?) story of the
invention of Post-Its - a failed adhesives experiment at 3M, so I've
heard. A throw-away. But it fit a need... and has changed how we work!
It literally "stuck around" :-)

Harrison Owen wrote:

> [...]
>
> I think it is probably important to note that the Principles and The
> law were never prescriptive - as in telling people what they should
> do. They are in fact descriptive - simply noting what will take place
> anyhow. Even if we have been taught, trained, coerced, believe the
> opposite - the principles and the law seems to be true. And for that
> reason alone they are always troubling. They seem wrong, counter
> intuitive, and definitely not according to our plans - but that is the
> way it is. Or so it has seemed for 20 years.
>
> I can remember times when there was intense discussion about the 1^st
> Principle (Whoever comes is the right people). People would say - Does
> that mean that those who don't come are the wrong people? Are they
> somehow bad, evil, and monstrous? Not at all! But the fact of the
> matter is that they didn't care to come. No judgment made concerning
> their moral status - just a simple statement of fact. They didn't care
> to come. And what makes the people present the "right people?" Another
> statement of fact - They did care to come.
>
> So where does that leave us? I guess the conversation continues, and
> the waters in the brook continue to do their work. Actually I really
> like, "Whatever happens is the only thing that did." Makes me smile
> too! And maybe I will give it a try and see how it passes over my
> lips. But then again, I rather like the old one. Perhaps I am getting
> older and set in my ways (all true) - but somehow the "could have" has
> a useful jarring quality. Upon first hearing it surely sounds like
> pure determinism - we are all locked in a prefigured universe which is
> just rolling over us. But there is also a smile there too. And beneath
> the smile is a recognition that given the constraints and forces of
> the instant what happened was the only possible result. Given
> different forces and constraints the results would be totally
> different - but all that is just hypothetical. We could just sit here
> and say ain't it awful, our freedom is denied, the dice have been
> thrown. OR - we could pay very close attention to the present moment
> and discover that even though it isn't what we expected, planned on,
> or hoped for - there are in fact some incredible, rich opportunities
> present which have never existed previously. So rather than
> constraining our freedom, it is expanded in ways and directions we had
> never even dreamed about. I like that one.
>
> Harrison
>
> Harrison Owen
>
> 7808 River Falls Drive
>
> Potomac, Maryland 20854
>
> Phone 301-365-2093
>
> Skype hhowen
>
> Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com
> <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>
>
> Open Space Institute www.openspaceworld.org
> <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
>
> Personal website www.ho-image.com <http://www.ho-image.com/>
>
> OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the

Deborah Hartmann
Agile Process Coach
deborah AT hartmann DOT net
mobile: fouronesix 996 4337