humanizing politics...

The Warren empower at empower.karoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 18 06:30:35 PDT 2006

I think Louise is right about supporting young people to get involved in participatory democracy.

Here, at the Warren, a voluntary sector young peoples project,  in Hull England we now have young volunteers using OST at our weekly 'parliament,'The Thing' where young people and workers meet to discuss policy, funding and activities.

OST is also used by young people at the monthly Coalition of Hull's Young Peoples (CHYP) which is a campaign group.

The big one though is that with partner agencies we have just set up a Hull Young Peoples Parliament and at the first meeting we had 122 young representatives, aged from 11-25, and how did we help them to get control of the agenda? We used OST and got over 200 issues which then were divided up into 33 different conversations.

On the hottest day in the UK this year the method worked wonderfully well and the enthusiasm from the young people for the method as well as the content of their ideas was very good.

Strikes me young people are more than ready for participative democracy!

regards

Keith Russell
Coordinator
The Warren
Young Peoples Communnity & Resource Project
Queen's Dock Ave.
Hull
HU1 3DR
UK