opening space with very small groups

Communications Esther Matte ematte at excellence.ca
Tue Sep 19 05:29:27 PDT 2006

Hello everyone!

First, let me say thank you for the wonderful learning I found in the
OSList.  I’m new to Open Space, and even though I have yet to make my
“first big circle” as Ted put it recently, I feel more confident thanks to
you all.

I may have two possible projects with very small groups (5-7 people) ­
which is what worries me.  I have participated to one OST in my
experiential training with Diane Gibeault (fantastic!), and co-facilitated
one with 45 people. But I simply cannot visualize how it works with as few
as 5 people. How do you do this? Do you have several rounds of discussions?
In separate rooms? Do people actually work by themselves and team up? Can
you do it in approximately 3 hours ? (Maybe 20-30 minutes opening, 2 X
40-minutes rounds of discussion or 3 X 30-minutes, action planning and
closing).

I'm sure some of you have done this. I'll be meeting with the first
possible group next week, and nothing is set in stone yet for the other.
Any comments, suggestions, ideas or warnings will be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance for your time!

Esther Matte
Communications Esther Matte
1011, Marie-Victorin
Verchères (Québec) J0L 2R0