Next Generation

Holger Nauheimer (Change Facilitation) holger at CHANGE-FACILITATION.ORG
Wed Sep 13 15:08:22 PDT 2006

Hi everybody,

you might have seen my discussion inputs to the dropping knowledge
movement. That brings me to a point I would like to explore, together with
you. Our network is just starting a project on "Trends in Change
Facilitation", and the big question is "What's next?", or "Better,
something next?"

Being myself an admirer of the power that an OS can unfold (and the
potential to transform organizations), I am still the old post-post-
modernist who asks himself: Is OS the end of a development we have just
embarked on, just in the tiny time span of 20 years, when OS, AI and
Future Search, and the principles of self-organization were discovered for
groups, more or less símultanously, and started to move the world - World
Cafe, as a latecomer 10 years ago - now Otto Scharmer shaking the trees,
or is it just the beginning, in the sense of "We've only just begun":

We've only just begun to live,
White lace and promises
A kiss for luck and we're on our way.
And yes, We've just begun.

Before the rising sun we fly,
So many roads to choose
We start our walking and learn to run.
And yes, We've just begun.

Sharing horizons that are new to us,
Watching the signs along the way,
Talking it over just all of us,
Working together day to day
Together.

And when the evening comes we smile,
So much of life ahead
We'll find a place where there's room to grow,
And yes, We've just begun.

Words & Music by Paul Williams & Roger Nichols
(I prefer the cover version of Curtis Mayfield, by the way)

So, is OS the end of a long road or the start? Will OS be able to address
all questions of community and organization, and belongingness? Will we
need and want to experiment with it for a long time to come? Are there
issues/problems/potential solutions in the Global Village which demand
other methodologies? Has Open Space Online provided an answer on how to
further proceed the road? Or which other forms of global interaction will
we need to develop?

Is there a right or wrong approach to attempt a healing of the broken
world?

Waiting for answers, and for more questions.

Warm but inpatient regards
Holger Nauheimer

Change Facilitation s.r.o.
http://www.change-facilitation.org
Global Network for Exploring, Creating, and Celebrating Change.

Now available:
The Audio Version of The Change Management Toolbook
http://www.change-management-toolbook.com/res/audio.html