OSLIST Digest - 7 Sep 2006 to 10 Sep 2006 (#2006-237)

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Mon Sep 11 06:34:40 PDT 2006

On 9/11/06 2:00 AM, "OSLIST automatic digest system"
<LISTSERV at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU> wrote:

> Have any of you worked with People living with AIDS and can give me = advice
> on things that might be of importance and that we might not think of
> automatically?

I have been working with an AIDS-focused organization here in New Jersey
(USA) for nearly ten years.  I have opened space for them four times that I
can remember, possibly more times than that.  These groups have always
included people who are gay, straight, black, white, Hispanic, male, female,
young, old, the highly educated, and the not-so.

Doesn¹t make any difference.  They go into the space like everybody else and
behave pretty much like anybody else.

There¹s only one thing I work on remembering when I¹m with this client.  My
recognition of the seriousness of the disease is not something I want to
wear on my face or demonstrate in my behavior.  They do not ask for overt
sympathy.

Ralph Copleman