Laurel Doersam - Her Spirit Runs Free...

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue Oct 31 21:59:22 PST 2006

Thank you, Lisa, for sharing the news of Laurel so honestly and so
beautifully.

She brought a lot of light into this world, touching many people like me who
met her in person only briefly, but were influenced by her spirit on the list,
in her work, in the world, as well as in her family.

One of my favorite memories of Laurel was at OSONOS in Berlin.   We were
trying to choose a place for the next year's conference, and as sometimes happens,
things were a bit contentious.   There was a strong desire to hold OSONOS in
one of the areas of the world where OST was just beginning to be used, as a
way to strengthen the OS community in that area.   But as the conversation
continued, it became obvious that none of the areas we were talking about were
ready to host a large international conference.

Finally Laurel stood, and with grace and authority suggested that we begin
supporting OS communities around the world in any practical ways we could, and
that we hold the next meeting in Vancouver, where she and Chris were willing
and able to host the event.   I could feel a shift of energy in the room, and
the decision was made.

Thank you, Laurel

Joelle Everett