Define Stammtisch Please!

C isa Kocher cik at ttnet.net.tr
Tue Oct 24 19:46:00 PDT 2006

it says "the regulars' table" in German

traditionally there was in the local public house, a specific place where
the regulars kept their personal stein and other personal things and each
place was known to belong to a specific regular.

In a neighborhood bar in the USA, one always sees empty seats between
customers until the place fills up and their are no empty seats and then you
sit next to somebody. In Austria, you never leave any empty seat between you
and any other customer, except for the Stammtisch. It sits apart and your
seat is yours. Nobody sits there.

isa in istanbul

We do not inherit it; we borrow the Earth from our children: Native American
wisdom. The only immorality is not to do what one has to do when one has to
do it: Jean
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/jeananouil148661.html>  Anouilh

  _____