More OS with 3rd graders

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue Oct 17 21:59:35 PDT 2006

Ashley--

Fun, indeed!   This is really great, that students at your school are
learning to self-organize and help themselves.

Years ago, I opened space for the teachers and staff of an elementary school.
  The students were not involved in this one, though the first graders set up
the room (a small gymnasium) at the end of their recess.   In the course of
preparing for the OS, I learned that this school was using a talking stick to
resolve conflicts between students.   When there was a problem, someone would
run to get the talking stick, and both parties would take turns saying whatever
needed to be said, until they could work out a solution.

Sounds like your school is growing people who might learn to solve disputes
without violence.

Joelle