marketplace

louise veneziali at yahoo.ca
Sun Oct 15 09:04:39 PDT 2006

    Hi Sheila,
          Here is my 2 cents on stay around or not stay around.  My experience of OS is that it is very much the same as any creating  experience, order from chaos. As a facilitator, I stay around untill I feel the  level of anxiety is not high enough to prevent the group from self-organizing.  This is sometime when the group is up and grouping around the marketplace and  someone turns to me and asks how to do it. This is time for me to tell them  that they have everything they need and leave the premisses. Then they can use  the creative tension we have built when the facilitator walked the circle and  participants stated their subjects of interest, to create their agenda.
          Another example why I tend to not stick around too much, let’s  say that I bumblebee and butterfly a lot. At some point, while bumblebeeing,  I was sitting in the room with a group. When I felt tension mounting, I walked  out and sat where anyone who would need to, could come and talk. After a few  minutes, someone used the law of two feet and came to me, quite angry, at me  first because I wasn’t there to control (save ?) them. I told her that if I was  in the room controlling them, I couldn’t be here to hear her. She agreed. It  happened that the tension was around some covert conflicting attitude preventing  the group from accomplishing what they really want to do, and how to. The OS  gave enough room for the conflict to invite itself in plain sight for everyone  to see. This event gave the opportunity to the group to self-manage the conflit  over time. I wonder if they could have, if I had been in the room, instead of  being available to listen to someone who
 became the champion to confront the  conflict and have the group the possibility to resolve it.
          But again, I believe it is personnal to each facilitator. There  is a fine line that you can feel, if your are present and invisible, between  too much anxiety and rediness for the group to self-organize. Reckognizing this  fine line tells you when to go. If you feel you need to control or find it hard  to be in the room, sitting at the edge of your chair or pacing nervously  around, and fighting pitching in, then it may be better that you butterfly or  bumblebee, for you and for the self-organization of the group.
          OS is a natural process, there is always someone to lead the  way to the marketplace if the group need to.
           Hope my 2 cents provide you some help.

Sheila Beauchemin <s.beauchemin at SHAW.CA> a écrit :  Hi there,
I am an open space neophite so my questions must be taken with that in
mind.  I confess that I am having trouble understanding the consistency
between "leaving the room" only to return at the end of the session for
evening news, and the necessity to "hold time and space".  Here, it
appeared that the facilitator was to remain around but not visible - doing
all those small tasks that keep the space safe and comfortable for those
busy beavers working away in the breakout sessions?

Can you provide some further enlightenment - and encourage as I find the
notion of leaving a hard one!  Call it the value for money proposition
that I occassional face (albiet not in an OST environment) - e.g. "Sure am
paying a lot of money and what are she really doing?  She isn't even in
the room!"

I have more basic questions but will post these separately along with an
introduction!

Regards,
Sheila Beauchemin
Victoria, BC Canada

Louise Brissette
ipsé, soi-même en latin
louisebrissette at ipsai.net
http://ipsai.net
+1.514.271.0318
un leadership créateur : pour une écologie du travail
http//leadershipcreateur.wordpress.com