FW: Showing up & being present

Justin T. Sampson justin at krasama.com
Sat Oct 7 11:59:37 PDT 2006

On 10/6/06, Ashley Cooper wrote:

> I work mostly with smaller groups and my presence usually isn't
> invisible. And yet it does feel like there is a quality of
> transparency that seems to easily transfer to others as an
> awareness and acceptance that they too have access to this
> presence.

Interesting -- in my work in the software field, I find
"transparency" of a team's work process to be an essential (and
difficult) goal to work on, but in that case "transparency" is
almost synonymous with "visibility" -- that is, providing
visibility into what's actually going on. Most folks have a
tendency to hide their work from view; perhaps out of fear, or
embarrassment, but basically a reluctance to show one's work
before it's "done". (One of the things we work on is how to get to
"done" more often, by taking smaller steps.)

I find it fascinating that "invisibility" got you thinking about
"transparency", which got me thinking about "visibility"!

Cheers,
Justin