Proximity and Open Space after presentations

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Thu Nov 16 12:09:10 PST 2006

Steve--

I read Catherine's sentence (What would the risks be if we opened space and
it wasn’t certain to be safe?) somewhat differently than you did.   I thought
she was referring to a situation where the supposedly Open Space did not feel
safe for participants.

This is why seasoned OS facilitators stress the importance of prework with
the organization, getting to know the organization well enough to discover
whether top managers are prepared to be surprised, or whether they know in advance
what outcomes they will accept.

It is possible that opening space in an organization that is not really open
to it could damage my professional credibility and the reputation of Open
Space as a way of working.   But my first concern is that participants who speak
their own truth in Open Space will not be punished in some way for that truth,
and that participants not be asked for ideas which management has no intention
of using.

I opened space with one organization which was facing major restructuring,
and most of the participants felt that the meeting was just "for show," that the
decisions had already been made (which was not true, but I can see where that
feeling came from).   There were lots of conversations the first day, but
participants were very guarded, not much creative work.   At the beginning of the
second day, one of the participants addressed this issue directly, requesting
that one of the managers sit down with him and answer the questions that were
hanging unasked.

Most of the participants chose to be part of this conversation.   The
convenor was straightforward with his questions, but never attacking.   The director,
sitting on the floor in the circle, answered every question honestly and
without defensiveness.   Someone got a flipchart and made notes of
"What we know about our situation."   It was a beautiful piece of work.   I
sat on the sidelines and held space.   My only intervention came the night
before, when I refused the director's request to design a different type of
meeting for Day 2.

The rest of the day, the emotional climate was entirely different.
Conversations were both lively and creative, and many expressed gratitude in the
closing circle for this opportunity.

In answer to your last question, Steve, you should not be fearful.   In fact,
courage is probably your most valuable contribution.   But sometimes Open
Space is not appropriate for the situation.   You will learn from experience, so
wade right in!

Joelle Everett
Sound Resources
Shelton, Washington, USA