Fear of freedom

Yoav Peck yoavpeck at netvision.net.il
Fri Nov 3 10:20:38 PST 2006

Funda,

Well, with Kerry's response and a good consultation with Avner Haramati, I
met the lady Thursday and "went with her" to the extent that we
re-established our partnership and we're moving forward. As Kerry suggested,
we will call the Steering committee together to address her plans and to lay
the foundation for the organization they/she aspire to. Hopefully, she will
allow people to self-express and make a difference there. And then, later,
we will open space to the wider community in order to enable people's
creativity and commitment to lift the group into implementation.

Truth is, I had to give up "control" as facilitator and accepted that the
organization has been the lady's dream for ten years and that she will have
to impact upon the founding more than a wide open space would have allowed
her to. Once she knows that she is truly in the process of fulfilling
something close to her dream, she may be able to let go more. Strange
contradiction.

Reminds me of our need, in Israel, for security measures now, if we are ever
to move toward a time when we won't need them. However, just as too much
"security" costs lives and creates cycles of defensiveness and
aggressiveness, my client's re-assertion of control or influence could cost
the project its aliveness and lead to withdrawal of some of the people's
energy that was born during the first open space, when everything seemed
possible.

At any rate, as someone once said, "It's easier to ride a horse in the
direction it's going.."

My job seems to be more "holding" the space of openness as elegantly as
possible, such that we won't kill the passion.

Thanks for your response. Yoav

  _____