Safety in the open

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Fri Nov 3 05:52:19 PST 2006

On 11/3/06 2:00 AM, "OSLIST automatic digest system"
<LISTSERV at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU> wrote:

> it is a dimly lit path and many of their colleagues will =
> discourage them. Those who've been down it must come back and light the =
> way, offering guidance and reassurance to the newbies.=20
>
> Seems like we have to fight the desire to only open space when we're =
> sure it's safe?

Yes, fight it.  But do not hate the impulse that seeks only safety.  Be
tender with it and gently firm enough to let it know you are resolved to
keep moving.

Once the space is open, people will by and large feel safer than before,
even though space that has been opened means no guarantees.  Paradox.  Go
figure.

Ralph Copleman