Proximity and Open Space after presentations

Zelle Nelson zelle at knowplacelikehome.com
Wed Nov 1 16:15:41 PST 2006

Hi Doug, Chris, Herman, et al.,

Chris mentioned the speaker setting the right tone. One way we
accomplish this
is to have the speaker talk from a circle of chairs, not to theater
style seating (this
also makes for a very efficient, and immediate transition to OS). see
the graphic
down the right side of the page at:
http://engagingthesoulatwork.com/engagingthesoul.htm

The invitation is "What thoughts, ideas, actions have been sparked by
this
speech? What did you learn and what do you want to take away from
this speech
going forward?"

One OS event after a speaker I posted on the OSLIST was after a
political
candidate:

Out of an short (3 hour) OS following a speech given by presidential
hopeful Col.
Robert Bowman in the summer of 2004, the Kindness Campaign -
www.thekindnesscampaign.org was created and has been sustained to the
present in Asheville, NC. There were 50? participants. We did 15 min
action at the
end after a 20 min closing circle. I believe the speech was 45 min
and that would
make the OS 2.25 hours. The whole event was maybe 4 hours one evening.

These were the topics, and action round topics:

Topic 1:            Electing Progressive Representatives
Convener:            Clyde Michael Morgan

Topic 2:            The Current Extinction Crisis
Convener:            Greg Wilcox

Topic 3:            The People of the World are with Us – We are the
Majority – How do we Spread the Word?

Convener:            Robin

Topic 4:            How can we help the under 30 crowd and other
citizens feel empowered enough to get involved in the political process?

Convener:            Cathy S.

Topic 5:            Local Power Over Economy
Convener:            Kevin

Topic 5:            Peace Dividend
Convener:            Brad Dienst

Topic 6:            Explore ways to identify and speak about the
fundamental truths about which our government is doing.

Convener:            Hugh Huntington

Topic 7:            Patriot Act – How to get our freedom back
Convener:            Pamela

Topic 8:            Unifying Global Resistance
Convener:            Mark

Topic 9:            Bringing Heart, Soul, Creativity, and Bliss to
Politics
Convener:            Daniel

Topic 10:            Leadership Training
Convener:            Rich Livernois

Action Notes:

Topic A:            Who wants to be in a network of people accepting
REAL money, not Federal Reserve Notes

Convener:            Kevin

Topic B:            How to start a kindness campaign in Asheville
Convener:             Barry Weinhold

Topic C:            Let’s Stay in touch with a Yahoo group or
something similar. Let’s work together

Convener:            Clyde Michale Morsan

Topic D:            Institutionalizing Change: Department of Peace;
Ombudsman, Reform

Convener:            Grant Miller

Topic E:            Finding ways to speak the truth about our government
Convener:             Hue

We just did 1/2 day World Cafe; 1.5 days of OS interspersed with
presentations ~
1-2 presentations, followed by 3 hours of OS; 1-2 presentations
followed by 3
hours of OS; 1-2 presentations, followed by 3 hours of OS; finishing
with a day of
action rounds. There were 80 people from bp. We've been asked to do
their next
meeting and in the "after action review" all the items the planning
team wanted to
be covered were covered, plus a hairy elephant was talked about and
moved
towards resolution.

However you look at it, when you open more space, people get what
they need.
All we do when we put together Open Space and a keynote speech or
presentation is combine the one-way learning phase of life with the
multi-input
way of learning way of life which is Open Space. The process is
happening all the
time, but not always one after the other, or moving in between the
two, and
sponsored by the same organization. We're just directly linking what
has been the
model for many years - one-way/single input learning and another way
to learn -
multi-input learning.

You know in Open Space ~ fantastic results!

with grace and love,

Zelle

Zelle Nelson
Know Place Like Home/Engaging the Soul at Work/State of Grace Document

www.knowplacelikehome.com
www.engagingthesoulatwork.com
www.stateofgracedocument.com

zelle at knowplacelikehome.com