New article on Benefits of Open Space for Tech Conferences

Deborah Hartmann deborah at hartmann.net
Mon Nov 20 12:46:47 PST 2006

Hello!  Here is an article I've been working on, drawn from an
experience at XPday Montreal 2006, which I facilitated in both English
and French with much help from Diane Guibeault of Ottawa (thanks,
Diane), who helped me with the french script.  I wrote this to add my
two cents to a conversation in our community about how to respond to
larger events which are no longer as satisfying for some senior members
of the community, who end up spending much time teaching and not enough
as as they'd like simply learning from their peers.

  Experience Report: Beginners and Experts All Benefit in Open Space
  <http://www.infoq.com/articles/open-space-beginners-experts>

http://www.infoq.com/articles/open-space-beginners-experts

"/Agile conferences are receiving an influx of novice teams and managers
- the Agile 2006 conference saw an increase of 50% from the prior year.
Perhaps out of concern over conference size, some suggest that new
conferences should be organized for these beginners, but this strikes me
as missing the point - when we self organize, diversity is an asset.  I
collected these observations about an interesting session at one Open
Space event in order to share a concrete example of how mixing up
expertise levels creates a valuable conference experience for all./"

Perhaps it will be of use to someone :-)
deb

--

Deborah Hartmann
Agile Process Coach