What is the largest group size for OS-role of facilitator

The Owen Group owengroup at comcast.net
Mon Nov 20 03:46:12 PST 2006

Michael,

Interesting you would mention this. I was pondering this yesterday. In my
most recent Open Space adventure with our company, I intentionally omitted
my name from ALL materials related to the retreat . . . The invitation as
well as all other correspondence to the group. EVERYTHING came directly from
the Sponsor (the Team Leader).

A few thoughts as to how this affected the actual flow of the event:

- Prior to the event, I did not have bunches of people approaching me to
find out what they should expect
- EVERYONE came with the same "expectations" - That they were coming to an
event to "Create the Future"
- No-one knew anything about what was going to happen - The process, agenda,
facilitator etc
- The group went right to work without hesitation when the light turned
green (Marketplace opened)
- I was completely invisible until the closing . . . Even when people saw me
in the passing, they were too busy doing what they came to do to engage me
in side conversations about the process.
- The proceedings also do not have my name ANYWHERE on them . . . It is THE
ORGANIZATION'S book . . . They OWN it completely.

This was my first Go at doing it this way, and I like it. I am aware that
many of the OST events I have facilitated in the past were ones in which my
name was front and center in all communications . . . sort of as a
validation for the process and/or worth of attending the meeting - and
perhaps an ego trip of sorts of my own. The flavor of the event is different
when the folks come because they have great passion for the THEME and less
interest in witnessing an unusual process or a professional opening space.

The ego aspect of it is something I have pondered for years. I think it
falls under the category of marketing. "If I don't market myself in all of
the materials and make my contact information known, how will they know who
to refer to other people? How will I get future business if I don't have my
personal imprint/signature on my successes?" Truth is . . . If folks are
stirred by the process and/or my presentation and presence, they will
discover themselves who I am and how to find me without me having to feed it
to them in THEIR invitation, correspondence and proceedings.

So I feel my role is along the lines of staying out of the way from start to
finish . . . so the entire thing is more about the organization and their
passion for the theme and ONLY THAT! There is no room for any other
"agendas"

Best,

Website www.theowengroup.net
Visit my BLOG @ http://creatingspaces.blogspot.com/

Barry Owen
Principal Broker
The Owen Group
Keller Williams Realty - Green Hills Market Center
30 Burton Hills Blvd Ste 175
Nashville, TN 37215
Direct - 615.568.2123
Toll Free 866.375.0965
Fax - 615.523.2462

Keller Williams Realty is a learning-based Training & Consulting Company
supporting our Real Estate Professionals by offering business models,
systems, tools, & support to Build Careers Worth Having, Businesses Worth
Owning, and Lives worth living . . . We are THE fastest growing, most
innovative real estate company in America. Check us out @
www.theowengroup.net OR www.homselrs.com