a community living la vida open space

Alan Stewart alanmstewart at gmail.com
Sat May 27 18:02:01 PDT 2006

Further to Tree Fitzpatrick's inspiring story ...

In the early 90s I was part of a group which was planning to co-create the Halifax Ecocity, a community of about a thousand people living in the middle of the city of Adelaide in South Australia. http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture/1998-June/005381.html

(This grand Ecocity enterprise did not materialise, mainly, in my understanding through lack of financial resources in the face of competition for the site from 'business as usual' developers).

Several friends and I were responsible for the concept and design of a co-housing component which was to be in a 5 storey apartment block.

Here is story which greatly influenced me and others about the meaning of community living in this manner. The background is that Robert Gilman, founder and editor of 'In Context' magazine at the time, came to Adelaide in the mid 90s with his 13 year old daughter. They gave presentations to an audience of people interested in intentional community living. Robert spoke on the creation, operation and design of the cohousing community on Bainbridge Island near to Seattle, into which he and his family had moved after the construction was completed.

Robert's daughter spoke of her experience of living in this complex. She said that there were about 90 residents, 50 adults and 40 children. "Among ourselves we have solved a problem which is widespread throughout North America: excessive watching of TV. We have so much fun playing together that we do not have time for TV!"

To a question from the audience, "What happens if a family approaches your community with a request to join and says one of their children has a severe behavioural problem?"she responded "We don't accept people like that, they accept us."

I note that Chris Corrigan wrote to Florian Fischer on 17 December 2003 Re: City council and civil conversation

I just forwarded this post of yours to Robert Gilman, a local (Langley,
WA, US) friend and (hopefully) soon-to-be city council member who is
interested in doing community-wide open space as part of an ongoing
civil infrastructure. I am helping him to develop a prototype online
environment to help support the process with a design team of about 40
citizens who want to help facilitate a community vision of the future of
our town.

And from a google search that Robert Gilman is a now a member of the Langley City Council.

Where may these threads be leading?

With love

Alan
Hong Kong