OSLIST Digest - 24 May 2006 to 25 May 2006 (#2006-137)

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Fri May 26 07:56:23 PDT 2006

On 5/26/06 2:00 AM, "OSLIST automatic digest system"
<LISTSERV at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU> wrote:

> So if Open Space is a dance, where does that take us?

Into the land of metaphors...

Dancing, navigating, bird flight, talking sticks, circles...  All these are
metaphors for experience.  They help us understand.  They speak to us in
ways similar to ritual and relic.

When I dance I want to concentrate on the relationship with my partner, and
I hope my partner wants to do the same.  I want to celebrate the connection
and possibly make it richer.  I have favorite dance partners because we know
when we dance, we ³get² each other.  Sometimes I try new dance partners.  I
may discover new things this way.

Sometimes the person I dance with wants only to be with herself.  She wants
a partner because the dance requires two, but she¹s really onto concerned
with enjoying herself, not being ³us².  This is no fun.  In fact, it can be
exhausting.

Sometimes we dance in large groups, especially at important events.  We all
celebrate our togetherness and commitment to each other.  Someone starts the
dance and then dance takes over; no one is in charge, and everyone seems to
know what to do.  Precise execution of the dance steps is forgotten by some,
and others may have never even tried this dance before, but everyone gets
carried along somehow, and it all works out.  Laughter and perspiration
often ensue.  Eventually the music stops, and I may be a little sad.  But it
all stays with me, if I want it to.

But these ³places² are probably not the only ones dance takes us to.

Ralph Copleman