The Da Vinci Connection -- Open Space and the Feminine

Wendy Farmer-O'Neil wendy at xe.net
Wed May 24 01:50:49 PDT 2006

Eric you wrote:

>The evidence suggests to me that the shift to the masculine had
>happened centuries before the Christian era

The shift has been archeologically documented millennia before the Christian
era, actually.  To quote a relevant passage from Merlin Stone's "When God
Was A Woman" (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1976) which traces the origins of
the suppression of the sacred feminine:

"...the worship of the Goddess was being affected by invading Indo-Europeans
from at least 2400 BC onward, possibly, though less extensively, in Egypt
from 3000 BC and in Sumer perhaps at the very earliest periods of the
Sumerian culture, 4000-3000 BC."

For those whose interest in the sacred feminine has been piqued, I would
like to also suggest the works of Maria Gimbutas who is to the sacred
feminine what Joseph Campbell is to the sacred masculine.

And Harrison, you wrote:
>It is not just that the Feminine shows up - but
> she shows up as an equal partner in the dance. That would be sufficient to
> threaten any Emperor!

This is a very interesting hypothesis and echoes what Stone proposes is the
crux of the original conflict. ;-)

Cheers,
Wendy