The Da Vinci Connection -- Open Space and the Feminine

Eric Lilius elilius at halhinet.on.ca
Tue May 23 16:48:29 PDT 2006

I read the following this morning and was struck by the synchronicity
with what Harrison had written. Is this description of Memorial Day the
common tale of origin?

May 29 Memorial Day
The customs of honouring and communicating with the dead around this
time (See Lemuria (May 9), Pentecost (May 19) and Trinity Sunday (May
26)), suggest an ancient origin for this festival. The American holiday
derived from an incident on April 25, 1866 when four young Southern
women, after scattering magnolia blossoms on the graves of the men they
had lost in the Civil War, walked over to the other side of the
graveyard where the Union soldiers were buried and decorated their
graves as well. Sympathetic reports of this act of reconciliation
encouraged communities all over America to hold their own "memorial"
services, usually including a parade, a patriotic oration and a
community picnic.
from:
http://www.schooloftheseasons.com/maydays2.html#amb

I found The Da Vinci Code to be an alternative history lesson with a
plot thrown in.

The evidence  suggests to me that the shift to the masculine had
happened centuries before the Christian era

I would add two books: "The Woman with the Alabaster Jar" by Margaret
Starbird for further exploration of Mary Magdalen and the Holy Grail and
"The Alphabet Versus the Goddess" by Leonard Shlain to examine the role
of alphabets and literacy in the  shift from the feminine to the
masculine in cultures around the world.
Tom Robbin's wonderful novel "Skinny Legs and All" has some interesting
things to say about all this. He suggests that the Temple in Jerusalem
was at times dedicated to Ishtar as well as that old war god Yahweh.
Martin Scorcese's "The Last Temptation of Christ" presents Mary Magdalen
as a priestess of Ishtar.

Eric

--
http://www.haliburtonfolk.com
http://savethefrostcentre.ca

"Ultimately what we're touching is the invisible,
all-pervasive Intelligence that surrounds us and penetrates us.
It is grooming us to be able to tolerate its splendor.
It can't just reveal itself openly because we would be forfeited;
we'd never know what hit us."
				Terence McKenna