Practice and Theory in Open Space (Confessions of a Theoretical Hit Man)

Mark R. Jones (AT&T) mark_r_jones at att.net
Wed May 17 10:48:42 PDT 2006

Hi.

This conversation thread inspired me to retrieve some of my old notes on
Complexity Theory and Chaordic Systems Theory.  The notes originally came
about because I was investigating (exploring and experimenting) possible
theoretical models for "living in Open Space' as a "Life Practice".  I have
extracted from that investigation a thread that I still find quite engaging.

"Living in Open Space' is the intentional experience of living life as --
"emergent systems" where phenomena adaptively arise through the non-linear
spontaneous self-organization of holonic constituents to manifest structures
and behaviors that themselves manifest both deterministic and
non-deterministic processes and states.

Relevant principles from Complexity Theory and Chaordic Systems Theory are:
(1)  Emergent Systems are nested "open systems" that exist in an energetic
     dis-equilibrium, where global integrity and local pattern stability
     emerge within the flux dynamic
(2)  History (memory) is important -- emergent systems change over time, and
     "knowledge" of prior states and processes influences present and target
     states and processes
(3)  Population size matters regarding coupling rules, relationship dynamics
     ("trusted" versus "non-trusted"), network topologies, structures,
     behaviors, scale and scalability, and sustainability and generativity
(4)  Relationships are non-linear ("butterfly effect") where small
     perturbations in holonic behavior and dynamics may cause large
     effects, proportional effects, or no effect at all
(5)  Relationships contain both positive (amplifying) and negative (damping)
     feedback loops that effect holonic behavior wherein holons themselves
     are altered.  However, negative feedback loops between holons, and
     between holons and their environments -- determine the sustainability
     and healthiness of all interactions
(6)  Holons directly respond to their local environments -- without
     apprehending  and monitoring the "whole"
(7)  Boundaries are arbitrary -- based on convenience and adaptive
     conventions
(8)  A small degree of "randomness" must be present in every emergent system
      *Note: I welcome this "randomness" but do not consider this a
             welcoming of "disturbance" or the "disturbed" -- which has an
             unhealthy pathological edge in it for me

When I examine the principles from the perspective of the evolution and
transformation of consciousness -- what continues to engage me about this
are inquiries around:
  *  The processes and impact of "Intention" on emergent systems -- taking
     responsibility for what has heart and meaning for you.  The effect of
     "View" (level of consciousness), specific goals, skillful means,
     mindfulness, and immediate feedback
  *  The processes and impact of "Invitation" on emergent systems --
     whoever shows-up are the "right people" if they were invited
     (explicitly and/or energetically)
     - What is the highest purpose of the intention of the Invitation?
     - Why is that intention and purpose important?
     - Who are the Inviters and why?
     - How are the Inviters "vetting" the Invitees -- form, fit, function?
     - How are the Inviters "vetting" the Environment -- as a safe "space"
       free from physical, emotional, intellectual, and /or spiritual abuse,
       abusers, and other hazards?
     - Who are the Invitees and why?
     - How are the Invitees declaring their alignment with the highest
       purpose of the intention of invitation?
     - How are Invitees "vetting" themselves regarding form, fit, function?
     - How are Invitees "vetting" themselves regarding the Environment --
       committing not to abuse (physical, emotional, intellectual,
       spiritual) Self, Others, or the Whole?
  *  Transcendental Insight -- "Interconnected" (Antithesis extension to
     Principle-6)
      "Holons directly sense and respond to all of their environments --
       Self, Other, Whole

I have lived-into and integrated insights and practices regarding
"Intention" and "Invitation".  My current investigations are focused on the
Transcendental Insight around Interconnectedness.

Mark R. Jones
Chief Executive Officer
The Sunyata Group
The Integral Wellness Group