Practice and Theory in Open Space (Confessions of a Theoretical Hit Man)

Chris Weaver chris at springbranch.us
Tue May 16 21:01:42 PDT 2006

Harrison asked, "And now what?"

And before that he described two conceptual bases he has found useful:
Complexity Theory, and Consciousness Studies.

Although "consciousness studies" is broad enough to (not include but touch)
it, I remind us of the conceptual base of Indigenous Science.  Here are some
principles of indigenous science from Apela Colorado, via Jeff Aitken:

1. The indigenous scientist is an integral part of the research process and
there is a defined process for insuring this integrity.
2. All of nature is considered to be intelligent and alive, thus an active
research partner.
3. The purpose of indigenous science is to maintain balance.
4. Compared to Western time/space notions, indigenous science collapses time
and space with the result that our fields of inquiry and participation
extend into the overlap of past and present.
5. Indigenous science is holistic, drawing on all the senses including
spiritual and psychic.
6. Indigenous science is concerned with relationships, we try to understand
and complete our relationships with all living things.
7. The end point of an indigenous scientific process is a known and
recognized place. This point of balance, referred to by my own tribe as the
Great peace, is both peaceful and electrifyingly alive. In the joy of exact
balance, creativity occurs, which is why we think of our way of knowing as a
life science.
8. When we reach the moment/place of balance we do not believe we have
transcended — we say that we are normal! Always we remain embodied in the
natural world.
9. Humor is a critical ingredient of all truth seeking, even in the most
powerful rituals. This is true because humor balances gravity. (1994)

Dipping into these principles, I emerge contemplating the OST facilitator's
role as a ceremonialist.  Indigenous science speaks to our experience about
the essential importance of the quality...the fragrance...of the open space
within the space-opener and space-holder(s).

Yes?

Chris