Mystery of Open Space

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Thu May 11 15:04:02 PDT 2006

In a message dated 5/11/06 5:50:40 AM, hhowen at verizon.net writes:

> I think what we have learned to date about self-organizing systems offers
> the best framework for understanding. But that is a personal judgment, and
> doubtless there are many other possibilities. Which is wonderful and
> definitely provides the "start point" for many good conversations.

"Something" is definitely going on here, and Open Space/self-organization is
certainly one of the theories, or likely stories.   Other people, with
different experiences, are going to tell other stories, and eventually we'll be able
to have a look at where the stories overlap or express common themes.

In the meanwhile, OST has proven to be an effective way of bringing people
together to do productive work on real issues, and I intend to open space
whenever the opportunity appears.

In the field of medicine, there are quite a few things that work, but science
does not know why or how.   And doctors continue to use them, even without
understanding why they are effective. I see no reason to wait for an airtight
theory before going to work in Open Space!

My 2 cents' worth,

Joelle