Another worldrecord?

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Mon May 8 10:12:18 PDT 2006

Michael Herman and AVner Haramati and Penny Isbell and I ran a couple of
Open Spaces here on Bowen Island in 2003.  The dialogues were on the nature
of our village here and the theme was "How can we make Snug Cove an inviting
place to live, work and play?"  We had two consecutive Open Space events on
the lawn behind a cottage whcih served as the home for the Bowen Island Life
Long Learning Society.  It was in the heart of the Cove, right behiond the
library backing on to an alder grove.

There wasn't enough room in the cottage for the meeting so we convened the
circle of chairs on the lawn and used a cedar hedge for the agenda wall (or
"Hedgena Wall" as we put it).  People fixed their topics to the hedge with
old fashioned wooden clothes pins.  We had a few meeting space letters
attached to various natural objects as well, an alder tree, an Oceanspray
Bush etc. I think one group went across the street to the cafe to talk.

It was a case of the invitation coming alive as soon as the meeting did.
There is nothing like Open Space in open space.

Chris

On 5/8/06, Marty Boroson <marty at becomingme.com> wrote:

> Dear Thomas
>
> What I like most about your email is the way you have identified and
> described locations:  nothing is "in" a location or room, only "near" it,
> or
> "by" it or "at" it.  And no room numbers!  With this simple turn of
> phrase,
> we are already thinking and meeting "out of the box".  And many of the
> locations have a natural object, which serves as a touchstone, a wonderful
> way both to ground the discussions and keep them fluid.  It is also very
> playful--suggesting children playing hide-and-seek.
>
> Bravo!
>
> Marty

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation