XIV Open Space on Open Space Moscow

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at bk.ru
Fri May 5 14:39:32 PDT 2006

Dear Gail, Thomas, and everyone else,

It is exciting to see the tremendous diversity of participants signing
up for the OSonOS. Already we have OST facilitators from Germany,
Ukraine, USA, Canada, and China represented!

Gail, I totally understand and hear the wish for more clarity. If the
answers here don't help, let us know!

As the announcement says, really affordable hotel accommodation in
Moscow is hard to come by.

Two acceptable options in the $100-120 range that are relatively close
to the OSonOS site, the Moscow House of Community Organizations, are
Hotel Ukraina (http://www.ukraina-hotel.ru/) and Belgrade Hotel
(http://www.hotel-belgrad.ru/).

A more affordable option is Sweet Moscow, a hostel offering dorm beds
at $25/night.

A limited number of homestays are available. And should there be more
people looking for a homestay, let us know and we'll see what we can
do! For homestays please contact me offlist.

As for visas, the information in the announcement indicates how you
can get a tourist visa online. And my suggestion is to get a tourist
visa through one of those agencies or a local travel agency you feel
you can rely on. Not many organizations have the necessary
accrediation to issue a large number of invitations for foreign
visitors.

In the unlikely situation you are asked the purpose of your visit, I'd
suggest you say: "Tourism." A tour of Russian OS practices?

I recall being concerned about travelling on a tourist visa for the
Goa OSonOS two years ago. Harrison rightly pointed out that then we are all
gathered for enjoying each other's company. This is not about business
in the typical sense.

As for sightseeing, I know that some Intertraining members look
forward to showing visitors around town. So, let me know when you will
be coming, and we'll match you up.

In any case, there will also be a pre-OSonOS gathering at a location
to be announced.

There are a number of local firms that organize tours. Closer to the
OSonOS we can arrange for an extra fee (around $20-30/person) a 3-4
hour auto tour of the city. If interested, let me know.

Gail, as for the idea of posting where people will be staying, note
that the www.openspaceworld.ru site has a forum function. You could
post that information there. I'd be happy to make a note of where
people are staying and pass that information on.

For those still thinking about coming, please remember that while
visas can be done quickly thanks to these online visa agencies, I
would still budget up to a month to get a Russian visa.

Also, we will need to have a list of all those planning to participate
in the OSonOS by July 15th. We need to give a participant list to the Moscow House of
Community Organizations beforehand. If you are not on the list, we may
not be able to get you in!

Any other questions?

>From an ever warmer Moscow, shining with a pre-summer sun full of
OSonOS, thick and granular with anticipation,

raffi and the OSonOS XIV team