juicy convening questions - catalyzing elements

Zelle Nelson zelle at knowplacelikehome.com
Mon May 22 13:57:20 PDT 2006

Hi Christine,

You asked: Do you think the speech by Col Bowman was part of what
catalyzed the Kindness Campaign?

What I saw that night was a group coming together because they cared
deeply about the upcoming election and they were looking for answers
to what was happening in Iraq, they were looking for something that
they could do and get behind, they also wanted to connect with others
that had similar thoughts and feelings about politics and the
direction of the US, and to share what they were doing to change the
situation. I believe Col. Bowman was a catalyst. I believe he created
a common story from which to move into Open Space. I believe Col.
Bowman helped to create a focus point to create a deeper community
than the loose community that was coming together around the election
and a desire for change.

If I remember correctly Barry Weinhold, the originator of the idea of
a Kindness Campaign, was sitting in on the topic:
Bringing Heart, Soul, Creativity, and Bliss to Politics
and he was simply sharing something he had come up with and had
started in Colorado at one point. From there the conversation just
soared - people were excited about the story and thought how could we
do this here (Asheville)? The Kindness Campaign was again talked
about in the closing circle. When we opened the space for the Action
round, the Kindness Campaign was reborn.

It's fascinating to see OS at work... It's amazing every time!

I've asked Gayatri for the original invitation.

Below are all the topics that were generated after Col. Bowman spoke:

Summary of Topics - 6/16/04 after Col. Bowman speech

Topic 1:            Electing Progressive Representatives
Convener:            Clyde Michael Morgan

Topic 2:            The Current Extinction Crisis
Convener:            Greg Wilcox

Topic 3:            The People of the World are with Us – We are the
Majority – How do we Spread the Word?

Convener:            Robin

Topic 4:            How can we help the under 30 crowd and other
citizens feel empowered enough to get involved in the political process?

Convener:            Cathy S.

Topic 5:            Local Power Over Economy
Convener:            Kevin

Topic 5:            Peace Dividend
Convener:            Brad Dienst

Topic 6:            Explore ways to identify and speak about the
fundamental truths about which our government is doing.

Convener:            Hugh Huntington

Topic 7:            Patriot Act – How to get our freedom back
Convener:            Pamela

Topic 8:            Unifying Global Resistance
Convener:            Mark

Topic 9:            Bringing Heart, Soul, Creativity, and Bliss to
Politics
Convener:            Daniel

Topic 10:            Leadership Training
Convener:            Rich Livernois

Action Notes:

Topic A:            Who wants to be in a network of people accepting
REAL money, not Federal Reserve Notes

Convener:            Kevin

Topic B:            How to start a kindness campaign in Asheville
Convener:             Barry Weinhold

Topic C:            Let’s Stay in touch with a Yahoo group or
something similar. Let’s work together

Convener:            Clyde Michale Morsan

Topic D:            Institutionalizing Change: Department of Peace;
Ombudsman, Reform

Convener:            Grant Miller

Topic E:            Finding ways to speak the truth about our government
Convener:             Hue

with grace and love,

Zelle

Zelle Nelson
Engaging the Soul at Work/State of Grace Document/Know Place Like Home

www.stateofgracedocument.com

zelle at knowplacelikehome.com

work/home: 828.693.0802
mobile: 847.951.7030