Access Queen Invites You to Dream and Share as we go to OSonOS Moscow … [long]

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu May 4 11:24:23 PDT 2006

Access Queen Invites You to Dream and Share as we go to OSonOS Moscow…

In this message:  Ways to help yourself gather the funds you need to get to
this year’s annual global Open Space on Open Space gathering –- Ways to help
others who wish to get there by sharing any extra resources you may have

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Access Queen was dreamed up at the 9th OSonOS in Vancouver (2001) as a way
to share news of who has and who needs resources to get to our annual global
gatherings so that people of lower financial abilities and from faraway
countries may attend.  I volunteered to take this role which Laurel Doersam
later named Access Queen.  Our sharing of dreams and resources has brought
Access Queen “Askers” to our gatherings in Melbourne, “Swenmark”, Goa and
Halifax and participants attending those gatherings also raise some
additional money for the following year’s Access Queen Fund.  For more
information about the story of Access Queen, visit:
http://www.openspaceworld.org/wiki/wiki/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceInstituteUSA/Acces
sQueenKing

- - - - - - - - - - - -

DREAM

of joining your colleagues at the 14th Annual Open Space on Open Space in
Moscow, Russia -- August 3-6, 2006 -- as Open Space facilitators and
enthusiasts from around the world join together in-person to share
opportunities and issues reflecting our methods, approaches, experiences and
passions.

ACT

on making that dream come true.

REGISTER

for the gathering -- see the full announcement, registration and other info
at http://www.openspaceworld.ru/ann-eng.html

READ

the pricing information on that web page for registration and accommodation,
and see what you need to put together as a rough picture of what it will
cost you.

REMEMBER

to add up the amount of money you will need for air ticket, accommodation
and registration, pocket money, ground transport (such as bus, shuttle or
taxi from airport).  Check example flights – you may have to stay overnight
somewhere to make a flight connection, and/or you may need to arrive a day
ahead of OSonOS just to accommodate to a time zone different from your own
(Plan to arrive August 2 or before so you can rest if you are coming from a
different time zone; August 3 is an informal social gathering).  Add a
little bit more money for breakfasts, dinners and unforeseen expenses
(OSonOS days include lunch and snacks).  *

*  You may wish to use a Currency Converter at http://www.xe.com/ucc/   As I
write this, 240 Euros (registration price) equals about $305 US dollars
equals 8,258.99 Russian rubles.

* * * Don’t have the financial ability to join us but would like to? * * *

BECOME

an Access Queen “Asker”.

BELIEVE in yourself as I believe in you.  Have the courage to ask for
support - to jump into the unknown and find that your community will catch
you.  Put together a picture of what you will need to actualize your dream.
See the next paragraph about how to write a proposal of your needs and your
situation and ASK your potential funders, *including* our colleagues on the
OSLIST who may have resources to share.  Ask others to help with feedback as
you construct your written proposals and feel free to ask your colleagues on
the OSLIST if you need any ideas or assistance.

Each ‘asker’ is encouraged to *generate funding from multiple sources*
rather than asking one source to cover all your expenses.  Think of funding
in clusters, in a way: travel money/assistance, accommodation/registration
assistance, homestay assistance, pocket money - and perhaps ask each
different source to contribute the funds for a different part.  It helps to
write up a proposal which you can give to the organizations and individuals
you from which you are requesting funding assistance.  You can find an
example of a request for funding at:
<http://www.openspaceworld.org/wiki/wiki/wiki.cgi?AccessQueenKing>
http://www.openspaceworld.org/wiki/wiki/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceInstituteUSA/Acces
sQueenKing – and remember to see the actual costs of registration,
accommodation and ground transport on the
<http://www.openspaceworld.org/osonos>
http://www.openspaceworld.ru/ann-eng.html   site.

And if you need to ask the Russian host team for some help looking for
registered folks who would like to room share or other things that may help
reduce your costs, be sure to contact them through Raffi Aftandelian at
raffi at bk.ru  or the host team’s general email: info at openspaceworld.ru

SEND

your Request for Funding to every organization or community coalition or
group of friends you can think of to raise the funds.

There was a marvelous outpouring of support for Access Queen last year at
the Halifax OSonOS, where folks raised funds at our Global Village
Marketplace table (see below) to donate to this year’s Askers.
Additionally, the Halifax host team carried on the tradition of donating the
money made from OSonOS Halifax after expenses to Access Queen.  So I have
sent this little fund of money to Raffi and the Moscow host team to help
Askers in many little ways.  Realize that this money is for distributing
very small amounts to as many Askers as possible - so do not count on it to
fund your big expenses, but know that in little ways the host team may be
able to help.

One of the ways this money may help is that the Moscow team can offer some
Askers a bit of a discount on the registration rate.  To help them help you,
decide first how much you CAN pay of that 240 € rate.  Then let them know
that as you make your request to them.  (The more you can pay, the more
other Askers can use this little assistance, and you will meet them all when
you come to Moscow!)

You may wish to also ask for some assistance with travel moneys from the
Open Space Institute of the USA -- you can use an adapted version of the
proposal I mention above -- include a bit also on how your request fits
within the guidelines of OSI(US) funding activities:  Add to your proposal
some writing about the following 3 things: tell them how your experience
coming to the OSonOS will help support underserved areas; tell them how you
will utilize your experience to reach multiple people upon your return home;
and tell them that you will make a commitment to post on our OSLIST the
story of your OS experience.  For proposals sent to OSI(US) (at
usa at openspaceworld.org ) please be sure to send in your request for support
by *before* June 19; it is first-come-first-serve so the sooner you get this
in the greater chance you have -- in the words of the OSI-US Board of
Directors, “The early bird gets the worm when it comes to financial aid”.
Which means - send your proposal in to them as soon as you can and *you*
will be the bird that gets the (financial) worm !

Another funding site that may offer travel funds for women, specifically,
who are self-initiating projects in womens’ rights and inclusion is Mama
Cash:

http://www.mamacash.nl/english/  - this funding cycle may take months so
contact them NOW.

When you do join your colleagues in Moscow this August, BRING

your art work / writing / folk art from your country/culture to sell at the
OSonOS Global Village Marketplace to help raise additional money for your
expenses or to donate to next year’s Access Queen fund.

* * * Do you feel like you CAN afford it and are thinking of coming? Or even
thinking of *not* coming? * * *

SHARE your resources with an Access Queen Asker.

RENEW or BEGIN

your membership in your local Open Space Institute.

OSI(US) -- whose members include colleagues from Switzerland, Haiti, Canada,
Germany, Denmark, Scotland, Japan, Australia, Estonia, France, Mexico,
England, Republic of China (Taiwan), and the US -- can offer some grants for
travel moneys.  Other OSIs such as the Institutes of Canada, Australia and
Taiwan have generously donated to the Access Queen fund in the past as well
to help with final expenses.  With your membership, all of our Institutes
will then have more funds to share with Askers who send in proposals.
Including you, as well?

http://www.openspaceworld.org/wiki/wiki/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceInstitutes

SHARE

your Frequent Flyer miles with an Asker - perhaps you can contact Raffi and
his team to see if there are any Askers you can help.

When you register for OSonOS, PAY FOR 2

* 2 * accommodations and / or * 2 * registrations and let Raffi and his team
know that you have done so - they will give it to an Asker and you can
either remain anonymous or be introduced to your Asker.

BRING

an envelope which has in it POCKET MONEY for an Asker.  Put a little card
with it wishing them well and signing your name if you do not want to remain
anonymous.  Let Raffi and his team know you will be bringing this and when
you arrive, check with Raffi and the team - they will make sure it gets to
an Asker or you can give it to them yourself.

SEND or BRING

your art work / writing / folk art from your country to sell at OSonOS
Global Village Marketplace to help raise money for next year’s Access Queen
fund.

DONATE

You can always contact Raffi to donate any amount of money for his team’s
use for Access Queen Askers.  Contact Raffi at: raffi at bk.ru

Let us see what happens when we each put a potato, a carrot or a bit of
onion into the rich and nutritious broth we can co-create to bring the
flavors of diversity and access to this year’s OSonOS.

L i s a   H e f t (also known as Access Queen)

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator

O p e n i n g  S p a c e

 <mailto:lisaheft at openingspace.net> lisaheft at openingspace.net

 <http://www.openingspace.net> www.openingspace.net