Imams and Rabbis --Gender/Countries / Participants

Funda Oral fundaoral at ttnet.net.tr
Fri Mar 31 05:44:29 PST 2006

some further information
----- Original Message -----
From: Mirza Yawar Baig
To: Funda Oral
Cc: Harrison Owen
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: Imams and Rabbis --Gender/Countries / Participants

I want to respond to the comment below, by Tree Fitzpatrick "I suppose there is no such thing as a female Imaam"......that is true only in as much as leading the congregational prayer is concerned. There are plenty of women scholars, who teach, speak in public, are followed (including by men) and are hugely respected (Farhat Hashmi in Pakistan is one such) by all Muslims. Any number of them could have been invited and would have come. As I said, most of the Muslim world does not seem to have been there (none from India - 300 million Muslims - Pakistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Afghanistan, Iraq to name some). Also obviously not enough Muslim women.

I am myself an Imaam and an international speaker on Islam and so can say the above with authority. Please forward this to Tree with my compliments.

I am not on the OS List as it is too busy and takes too much time, but as an OS practitioner and the only one registered on the Worldwide List from this region (India) I will be happy to answer any questions.

Yawar

www.yawarbaig.com