Imams and Rabbis --Gender/Countries / Participants

Brendan McKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Mon Mar 27 18:42:03 PST 2006

Great stuff folks - it's great having the inside story from the
facilitation perspective - so much learning therein...thanks for
sharing the 'ebb and flow' of it all....I'm just about to begin a
facilitator co-learning program here in Perth and will benefit from
the insights and challenges in the story....and here's how the
'outcomes' were reported from the 'sponsor's' perspective....
cheers
Brendan

SECOND WORLD CONGRESS OF IMAMS AND RABBIS FOR PEACE

Final statement

Seville, Spain, March, 22nd 2006, Safar 21, 1427, Adar 22, 5766

In the name of the One Creator and Master of the Universe, the
Compassionate and All Merciful, we Muslim and Jewish leaders and
representatives, gathered for the Second World Congress of Imams and
Rabbis for Peace organized by Hommes de Parole in Seville, in the
region of Andalusia - recalling the past era in which Jews and
Muslims lived together here in harmony and mutual enrichment - and
aspiring for such relations today and in the future.

We accordingly affirm that contrary to widespread misrepresentation,
there is no inherent conflict between Islam and Judaism, on the
contrary. While modern politics has regrettably impacted negatively
upon the relationship, our two religions share the most fundamental
values of faith in the One Almighty whose name is Peace, who is
merciful, compassionate and just; and who calls on us human beings to
manifest these values in our lives and to advance them in relation to
all persons whose lives and dignity are sacred. Therefore we
reiterate the message we sent from our first congress, that we
deplore bloodshed or violence in the name of any ideology everywhere.
Especially when such is perpetrated in the name of religion it is a
desecration of religion, itself and the gravest offense against the
Holy Name of the Creator.

Thus, in addition to calling upon all our co-religionists to respect
all human life, dignity and rights, to promote peace and justice; we
call upon them and the governments of the world and international
institutions to show respect for the attachments and symbols of all
religions, as well as their holy sites, houses of worship and
cemeteries, particularly in the Holy Land, due to its special sensitivity.

Accordingly, we condemn any negative representation of these, let
alone any desecration, Heaven forbid. Similarly, we condemn any
incitement against a faith or people, let alone any call for their
elimination, and we urge authorities to do likewise.

We recognize that there is widespread misrepresentation of our
religions, - one in the other's community as well as in the world at large.

We affirm therefore the urgent need for truthful and respectful
education about each other's faith and tradition in our respective
communities and schools; and call upon those responsible to promote
such essential education for peaceful co-existence.

Solemnly we pledge ourselves to the abovementioned continue to seek
out one another to build bridges of respect, hope and friendship, to
combat incitement and hostility, to overcome all barriers and
obstacles, to reinforce mutual trust, serving the noble goal of
universal peace especially in the land that is holy to us all.