Conflict in community

Claudia Haack claudia at kairosalliance.com
Wed Mar 22 20:44:59 PST 2006

Chris,

I had the doubtful pleasure to be the project planner (city representative)
on a "Keep Wal-Mart Out" project many years ago.  People were very
positional, to the point of threatening each other and on both ends of the
spectrum.  At the time I didn't know about open space - or lets just say I
didn't know that there actually was a thing with a name.  What I did know
was that I had only 6 months (the time of the development moratorium) and
not a clue how to deal with this.  So, I started with some public
hand-wringing (as in : gosh, this is really complex, isn't it? ), basically
feeding the "positions" back to everybody and letting each of them really
"see" the other.  Open Space is much more elegant at this than I was then,
but it is a similar concept.  I gave them a lot of "airtime", at the same
time gently reminding them of the concept that indeed, we are all sitting in
the same boat, this is as good as it gets, and if this group of talented,
dedicated citizens cannot come up with a reasonable (or maybe even inspired)
solution, who could?  Well, they did come up with a very inspired (award -
winning) solution which was unanimously adopted by the City Council (!).

More directly to your question, I think I would not focus on the positional
aspects of this, but the complexity.  I believe that some of the frustration
and anger in situations like this actually comes from not being able to
"hold" the complexity long enough to be able to re-align and identify
actionable next steps.  Sharing the acknowledgement that indeed, this is
complex and that that is in itself frustrating is a great step forward and
possibly a positive outcome for a "first" Open Space.

Claudia

Claudia Haack

KAIROS Alliance Inc.

tel. 608.288.8315