co-located open space events

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Fri Mar 10 12:55:50 PST 2006

i remember you telling this story when we had lunch a few years ago,
larry.  this seems more like what we have in our situation in chicago.
 we have many people and many projects/purposes/networknames, but not
really many groups.  a bunch of us are in a core circle and we each
know some other networks.  we're looking around the circle thinking
that if we find this core circle helpful and intersting, then might
not more in each of these networks find each other interesting and
helpful.

there might be some essential churning going on in the process of
deciding what is more important, the names of the groups or the actual
purpose and connections.  this is one of those situations where event
he suggestion that we might make an invitation is already opening more
space, raising conversation.  challenging, and productive, i think,
even if the main event never happens.

that's why i think it's important not to have many forms of
invitation, but to have one invitation that speaks to everyone.  that
invite is the first model of how these various purposes are same.  i'm
all for that part of the real work of invitation, the work of finding
the one main purpose that all those who are needed can hear.

the work i'm talking about not wanting to do, lisa, is the
coordination of various forms of invitation, who got which one,
different versions for different lists, which one to post here vs.
which one there.  this is different than saying not to have fun with a
letter, a poster, a whatever other fun expression of same purpose.
the danger i see is "purpose creep" where in translating the
invitation, the purpose morphs too, so different groups show up for
different purposes.  then we've got two events stuck in one circle.
might work fine, but i'd rather not test it.

this is why i say i think we need one invite.  list all the purposes
of different groups/names, and then ask how do we grow each of these
and also connect them to the others.  if that larger purpose of
connecting networks isn't of interest, then nobody will show, which
would be fine.  then we'd know.  and whoever does come would do as
much connecting as is right and possible now.  all good, i think.

interesting scene, for sure.  the questioning at least as important as
any answers we come up with.  thanks to everybody who's tossing in
here.  m

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates