Longest OS Event?

Jeff Aitken tzimtzum at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 10 10:10:54 PST 2006

One of my first experiences of OST was the 9th European Symposium on Organization
Transformation, also known as OT-9, in tiny Galosfa, Hungary, in August, 1991.

Besides being an opportunity to visit the land of (some of) my ancestors, it was for me a
life-changing gathering of 100 people from 17 countries for an evening, four full days,
and a closing morning. It was organized and facilitated by Oskar David and Coen van der
Kroon from the Netherlands.

We had twelve participants from Russia who awoke the first morning to news (from
a British participant on the phone with his wife) that President Yeltsin was, or would be,
overthrown in a coup. We devoted much time to supporting and thinking with our
colleagues about ways to respond, whether to return, exile, etc.

On the third morning we heard that Yeltsin was atop
the tank in the Moscow street and the coup was not successful. Our Russian friends brought
out a trunk filled with vodka and glasses and we devoted the evening to songs and dances
from our homelands. (Okay, we five from the US sang "Old MacDonald Had a Farm")

It was a very successful OST for the experience of international exchange and human community.

Jeff Aitken
Petaluma river valley
San Francisco Bay area