co-located open space events

Wendy Farmer-O'Neil wendy at xe.net
Thu Mar 9 15:04:31 PST 2006

Just want to reflect back that I seem to be hearing that one group may have
slightly different needs around this event.  If this is true and one group
has the generation of a sense of community cohesion as one of the goals for
the meeting, then this need may need to be honoured and addressed before the
obvious benefit of putting the two groups together can be realized.

One thing that I have done in a group that wanted Open Space, but also felt
a strong need to experience a sense of themselves as group and get to know
each other better first, was to begin with a couple of rounds of Circle
focused on appreciative questions like, "When did you first know you were
called to be a part of ...?" This uncovered the depth and resource present
and allowed people to get to know each other in a uniquely intimate way
relatively quickly.  We took a break and then Opened Space the usual way.
The feedback on this process was that it allowed them to move into the open
space feeling like a committed group focused on exploring diverse ways of
achieving a vision.  Maybe your group could do something like this as an
evening before event--bit of a twist on the usual meet and greet?

And a personal aside--considering the times and all--I feel that the sooner
we can open space for each person to experience themselves as one member of
a room full of living treasures, the better.

Cheers,
Wendy