thanks for the welcome back

Chris Weaver chris at springbranch.us
Thu Mar 9 03:29:58 PST 2006

Thanks, Harrison & others, for the welcome when I posted a few weeks ago.
It's lovely to be remembered after a couple of years off-list, & delightful
to see the online community thriving away in its inimitable way.

A couple current highlights & interests:

I continue to work with youth, particularly teenagers.  I'm working with
some wonderful folks to develop a new form of "community-based indigenous
education."  I promote a return to the ancient idea that the initiation from
childhood to young-adulthood is a key moment for the vast living
intelligence of nature to re-enter the consciousness of the human village.
Our youth can do this and are doing this for those who notice.  Open space
is a really good tool for intergenerational, inclusive "culture creation,"
so that the youth can be widely and deeply honored and supported in their
role, and welcomed back properly by the Elders and the village.  (Our
project weblog will soon be up ~ I'll let y'all know.)

Last week (thanks to Patricia Haines & the list) I attended the open space
convocation of the US Partnership for the UN Decade for Education for
Sustainable Development at the EPA campus near Raleigh, North Carolina.  All
I can say is that Steve Cochran has done something extraordinary, the
unfolding of which will make itself known on this list and far beyond in the
weeks & months to come.  Harrison's post about the new climate change
research brings the opportunities around open space and the Partnership into
an even sharper focus.

I am championing one initiative that came out of the convocation, which I am
excited to mention, although it's in early development.  Inspired by my
sketchy recollection of Michael Herman's "Giving Conference" in Chicago a
couple years back, I'm working with Maureen and Zelle, Patricia, & others on
a new way to bring potential donors together with grassroots sustainability
project leaders, using open space, and resulting in State of Grace Documents
as relationship-based alternatives to grants & other traditional funding
mechanisms.  If all goes well we'll pilot this in North Carolina (probably
here in Asheville) by summer.

That's my news from the Northamerican southeast highlands, as the birds call
in the dawn from the Atlantic.  Enjoy your day, everyone.

Chris Weaver