A Quiet Time: Touching wo Touching

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Sun Mar 5 08:52:28 PST 2006

I led Open Space event last week where all but 3 had not experienced it
before.  They were form multiple School Boards, exploring how to move
forward with a new information management issues focused on student
success.

I am intently listening for comments that people make about their
experience these days and using Spiral Dynamics as a metaphor to assist
my understanding.   Of course, I got the "I was very sceptical, and then
by noon something happened, I put up a topic and found out this was
great!"

However two comments stuck in another way:

One who had experienced OST, said he was disappointed that there were
not more topics.  A younger man with an initial "results driven" or
orange response (or maybe a red "ego" issue as he was on the planning
team.  In the convergence with his board team he got excited when he
realized what his colleagues had learned and how that quickly translated
in to their board strategy.

Another was from someone who had not experienced it before and was a
nice surprise.  He said he was walking between sessions and realized
that he could "feel the space" that had been generated -- he was glowing
(certainly a second tier perception).

He was touched in the space without any hugs or physical touching.

We did not hold hands at the end of this one, as some of the school
board chairs and superintendents are quite prickly.  They were however,
quite positive, about the event!

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation