co-located open space events

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Mar 9 13:32:04 PST 2006

Hi -

I had written:

<the core/host team may need to send out differently-crafted messages /
announcements to speak to different kind of groups.>

Michael, you wrote - and I'm thinking you were responding to what I wrote?:

< i do think that one event can have only one invitation.  first

because it's too much work to write more than one.  more importantly,

thought, it seems that all ppts should show up for the same thing.

if, like in this case, there isn't common language for writing an

single invitation, then that just becomes part of the task/purpose for

the meeting itself.  having various groups come for different

invites/purposes seems like real trouble.>

I'm guessing I should have provided some examples to be clearer as to what I
was thinking.

I am not saying the different forms of outreach to different groups you want
to invite name different *purposes / tasks / reasons* for the meeting or
conference.

What I am saying is about culture, and cultural forms of expression, and
about invitation - how different kinds of people or cultures respond to
different ways of invitation and different vocabulary and such. So for an OS
with diverse participants, for example one flyer or email announcement that
has the graphics and energy and words that speak more to youth, one that
speaks more to business leaders, going in-person to parent groups because
maybe that is what speaks more to them, and so on.  Not always necessary,
given the event - sometimes very necessary, given the mix of people you want
to have in the room and what their lives/cultures/codes/ways of
communicating are like.

Diverse outreach/invitation to invite diversity.  Everyone's message
includes the same reason / purpose for the gathering.  But everyone does not
have a common language, or common access to information streams/methods,
unless you know you are inviting only a certain kind of people (which may
indeed be the case for your event, Ted and Michael.but I can't tell -
perhaps you are seeking to invite people who speak in a specific language,
visit on-line and respond to - for example - wiki/mashup vocabulary, codes
and culture?)

I think it's worth the work (not to imply that you don't think it's worth
the work, Michael - just to clarify the context of my response when you say
'it's too much work' ).  One of the things I tell my clients is that the
burden of work for them indeed *is* in the invitation - to craft it / them
well, to invite and keep inviting, to figure out who is not there and - if
one is welcoming diversity, to find ways and resources to make it just as
easy for people in minority culture to learn about the event and get there
as for the others, and so on.

(again I think that I'm only reading a bit about your event as this
conversation unfolds so your greater knowledge of your particular event and
your particular constituency may result in you sending one clear message in
one form to one sort of people)

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator