co-located open space events

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Mar 9 07:20:05 PST 2006

I would certainly agree that cross disciplinary activity is essential. And
the reason is quite simple. Life does not come in "disciplines" -- no matter
what the heads of academic departments might think or hope. The university
structure is at best an arbitrary abstraction from life. On a good day it
represents a map of the territory. But it is always arbitrary, and it is
always a map -- never to be confused with the territory. Put a little
differently, my life comes in a package labeled "Harrison" which includes
and transcends physics, chemistry, biology, psychology -- and maybe even
robotics? But it is always Harrison.

Anyhow, it seems to me that the obvious need for cross-disciplinary efforts
argue for a SINGLE Open Space and not multiples. Doing multiple Open Spaces
simply confirms and compounds the inherent liability of the several academic
disciplines. And besides, it is an awful lot more work. As I have said to
the point of nausea -- always think of one more thing not to do. Works
better and feels better too.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html