co-located open space events

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Mar 9 07:07:50 PST 2006

Hello, all -

Ted wrote:
<What about two OS events, co-located?  I've got a brainstorm cooking
here, with the omidyar.net members conference in July and the first
Chicago Planetwork conference.  Two facilitators.  Two opening
circles.  Two agenda walls.  One hotel.

The alternative, of course, is to try to craft a single invitation
that serves both groups.  Maybe that's still possible.>

...and Les wrote:
< The most exciting developments I see on the horizon are
happening as a result of cross-platform communication between
disciplines.  For example what happens when we overlay the most recent
advancements in biology with computer science or mechanical systems?  Do
we see a new prosthesis?  Exoskeletal systems?  Bio-robotic systems
capable of amazing things?>

...and that is exactly why I would not hold two Open Spaces, but one.  Sure,
the core/host team and I may struggle with finding the right key question
that stimulates and serves both groups - and sure, the core/host team may
need to send out differently-crafted messages / announcements to speak to
different kind of groups.

But it is exactly the diversity that will fuel these great exciting ideas
and the method that will deliver cross-platform communication between
disciplines.

...if I understand correctly from your short description, Ted...

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
O p e n i n g  S p a c e