A Quiet Time

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Mar 2 11:07:57 PST 2006

From: Wendy Farmer-O'Neil [mailto:wendy at xe.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 2:00 PM
To: hhowen at verizon.net
Subject: RE: A Quiet Time

Dear Harrison,

It is exciting to be able to read an early draft--to see you capturing your
ideas fast and dense.  The image in my mind is of you standing in the middle
of host of butterflies, trying to focus quickly and capture a description of
each one before it melts back into the swirling whirl.

It is also a great opportunity to think about the process of writing with my
open space mind. I am thinking about how one of the great gifts of the
process of revision is how it allows us to open up more space in our
writing.  Of how, once the initial flurry of putting ideas to page is over,
we can return to each one and open it up, for ourselves and our readers,
creating space for appreciation and integration.

Here are some of the thoughts that reading your passage surfaced in my mind.

This principle is an opportunity to invite the presence of each soul
gathered--to invite them as fully as possible into the present moment. The
present moment is where we exercise our power of choice.  The past is
created from our moment to moment choices in the present.  The present is
where our choices determine our orientation to what comes next--to the
future.  The present is where we can act. The present is the place of no
fear--we fear what was and what might be--the present is the clear and open
space of action.  And as you mention, as we gain skill and our minds and
senses become more subtle, we expand our experience of the present and we
create more opportunities to act in an increasingly expansive relationship
to time.

Cheers,
Wendy