OS in University Settings

juliane neumann lialio at web.de
Wed Jun 28 15:37:19 PDT 2006

Hi Lisa (and everybody)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

 <o:p></o:p>

I have another story about open space in an University context for you. Not long ago I have been a student myself, thatŽs why I enjoy those occasions so much, where I can introduce (a bit of) open space there.<o:p></o:p>

 <o:p></o:p>

Some students at one of the Art Universities in east germany organized a conference about “Sustainability and Design” in May 2006. The event lasted 4 days. For the first day they had invited different “experts” to talk about the issue and than they asked me to facilitate an 2,5 day open space for them.<o:p></o:p>

 <o:p></o:p>

Their main idea was to have some space outside the regular clases to meet and discuss with students from different departments and universities. They ended up being most of them industrial design students and some coming from other studies like ecology. At first they were a bit dissapointed that not more people from “outside” had come. (there were about 20 particpants in the open space) From what was said in the closing circle it made a big difference for them to meet each other outside regular clases around an issue that is important for them in their lives and studies. Even though most of them knew each other before, it was a different getting to know each other.<o:p></o:p>

 <o:p></o:p>

One of the things that were quite interesting about that open space: they had prepared a lot of “creative material” for the students and were really afraid that the art students were a bunch of non- social people that would run and hide in their work- shops to work on the issues individually. They never touched all those materials (and didnŽt run away either), but were just sitting their and talking and came to the conclusion for themselves, that they had such a need to discuss, because the practical part was the every day thing and there was not enough room for the exchange of ideas.<o:p></o:p>

 <o:p></o:p>

If I was worried about the sustainability of the open space
..as IŽm still on their mailing list- I can see that there are a lot of activities, regular meetings and projects going on that came out of the action planning and I am quite impressed. <o:p></o:p>

 <o:p></o:p>

Greetings from Berlin,<o:p></o:p>