OS in University Settings

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed Jun 28 01:33:16 PDT 2006

Hey Lisa...

Happy to talk more about this.  My experience with universities has included
work with the University of BC working with the coordinator of health
sciences, bringing 30 people from across the health spectrum together to
form a new College of Health Sciences.  The current director, who sponsored
that event, said to me a couple of months ago that the OST was the key event
in catalyzing the new college.

Also I have worked with the First Nations House of Learning which houses
some First Nations programs and provides a home for First Nations students
and researchers at UBC doing some strategic planning between them, their
internal and external partners and graduates regarding strengthening the
role of the organization.

Did another one with the office of access and diversity on, well, access and
diversity issues on campus.

This spring I opened space for the new Dalai Lama Centre in Vancouver on the
question of how the community will support the Centre and vice versa.
Although not an academic centre per se, it is championed by academics
(focusing on educating the heart) and the vision is held by several UBC
folks,  There were many academics at the event.

And just a couple of weeks ago I did an Open Space with all of the HR
practitioners at UBC to create a network.  They were thrilled with the work
they did, having never really talked to one another.

I have had several UBC folks in Open Space traiing I have done over the
years, all from HR, or continuing education.

Happy to talk more.  My experience is that there is no difference between
academics and othergroups in Open Space, but often the academics will insist
there is.   This is evidenced a little in your question, where they often
want to know that this will work with academics before committing to it.  In
my experience, the usual answers apply: the more diversity, complexity,
urgency and passion, the better it works.

Cheers,

Chris

On 6/27/06, Lisa Heft <lisaheft at openingspace.net> wrote:

>  Hello, dear colleagues –
>

> I am talking with the business school at a university about using OS for a
> large networking event, to bring together students at all levels of the
> business program (from folks very new to the program to those with advanced
> business degrees; from executives who have graduated from the program to
> current students) and also members of other schools at the university
> (engineering, energy, and other diverse programs).
>

> My potential client is interested in hearing if any of you out there have
> done OS on university campuses and / or with these different constituents.
>

> He's great, because he 'gets' that OS can work with anyone.  But / and
> he's thrilled that I am part of this rich global community of practitioners
> and would love to hear other stories of how OS has been used in similar ways
> or similar settings – what was the situation, who were the constituents, and
> what were the accomplishments.
>

> Thank you for sharing your stories of OS in university settings,
>

> Lisa
>

> ___________________________
>
> *L i s a   H e f t*
>
> Consultant, Facilitator, Educator