Future Search

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at bk.ru
Wed Jun 14 07:04:11 PDT 2006

Hi All!

I have been following this FS thread with interest. I was trained in FS in 98, but never had an occasion to use it. I really felt lucky to experience the learning workshop from the method's originators, Marv Weisbord and Sandra Janoff. A rather spacious duo. I would suggest that it might be even worth going to an FS learning workshop to hear Marv play the jazz piano, his way of welcoming participants.

And, as Diane essentially put it, FS is something of a bridge technology that, as you put it, Tree, brings us to OS.

I am fresh from an Appreciative Inquiry learning workshop which brought me to a new understanding of Wendy Farmer-O'Neil's term, "synkairosity." i hope to expand on this in the next few days.

I think sometimes people choose not to "do" OST. And that's kewl. And, I see no harm in some synkairosic tweaking of the Future Search space. What's the worse thing that could happen if OS principles and the law and warning were announced at the beginning of the FS (perhaps even with the walking of the circle and all other goodies). Maybe FS will be even tastier? Heck, it may even work?

I would propose to Marv and Sandra that the future is not something to be searched for, but rather to be remembered. Searching? Well, that's working too hard. Waaaay too hard.

in glowing synkairosity,
raffi