informal learning

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at bk.ru
Tue Jun 6 08:28:08 PDT 2006

Loretta,

I really enjoyed your notes. And I will look more carefully at them later.

Many months ago there was a thread on the list about how os can be remembered, not learned or taught. I think this might be true of everything and i am sure that has been said many times too. If we are talking of right doing, doing in flow, remembering makes more sense. Learning suggests that the information is out there. If we take as a point of departure that everything is interconnected and that the answers to all questions are within us, really all we are doing all our lives is remembering, reestablishing the connections in the jumbo noosphere through the knowledge we have already.

Hence, I am slowly starting to use the term "remember" in place of "learn". And what follows for me is not the word "participant" in talking about workshops, but rather "co-rememberer". And "remember" suggests reintegration. And the more I think about the word "learning" it suggests a process of alienation. It is something about how the word sounds.

Right now, I am remembering a time in 2007 when I will offer a "Remembering How We Live and Work Most Fully" workshop. Until 2006 these were called "OST learning workshops." Kairos will tell if my memory was accurate.

This languaging for me is not just word play. It is also a matter of lenses. When I go to a so-called workshop (a "remembering playspace"), I think my experience of the space is different, if i go in as a co-rememberer as opposed to a participant.

I would go further and suggest that when we talk about living in os and the expanded now and emergence, that the words, "participant," "learning," "workshop" are all candidates for late onset flatland immunodeficiency virus (FIV). Being FIV+? Not kewel (cool).

raffi