my second space in istanbul

Chris Weaver chris at springbranch.us
Thu Jun 1 20:00:35 PDT 2006

Dear Raffi,

Hold that yawn, my friend.

I don't know about FIV, and I don't use the word professional.  But from a
village perspective, dependency is a beautiful thing.

I may plant my garden, but I am not a farmer.  And I know someone who is.  I
celebrate my dependence on how she cultivates her knowledge (and I enjoy it
at my table).

I may repair a wall with mud and straw, but I am not a builder.  And I know
someone who is.  I celebrate my dependence on how she cultivates her
knowledge.  And I awaken every morning looking up at her beams in the
pre-dawn light.

I may pray for my son to recover from his illness and I may brew the tea
that helps, but I am not a healer.  I know someone who is.  I celebrate my
dependence on how he cultivates his knowledge.  When my son runs across the
field restored to wholeness, I leave gifts on his doorstep.

I may communicate with the Ancestors and the Guides, but I am not a shaman.
And I know someone who is.  I celebrate my dependence on how she cultivates
her knowledge.  When the whole village makes a swift turning to a new path
following her understanding of one orphaned twelve-year-old's dream, I give
thanks for her ways which I trust but do not understand.

I may make a pinch pot, but I am not a potter.  I know someone who is.  I
celebrate my dependence on how she cultivates her knowledge.  And I carry
water from the spring house to my kitchen in her pots, and I dip in the
dipper and I drink.

I may tell a story on a winter night, but I am not a storyteller.  I know
someone who is.  I celebrate my dependence on how he cultivates his
knowledge.  I watch how the words enter the children's ears, alight in their
hearts, and rise like sparks from that fire to shine in their eyes, which
now have a glimpse of the whole ancient tree.

I may play a drum, but I am not a drummer.  I know someone who is.  I
celebrate my dependence on how he cultivates his knowledge.  Upon the
callouses of his hands, for two days and nights straight, I make the journey
through the heart of grief to the beach on the other side where the spring
rain is falling softly on the new grass.

And so there are some people too who are called space-holders.  I was born
to be one, if not by birth than by birth-through-initiation.  And so I pay
attention and I cultivate my knowledge.  I enjoy sharing and I enjoy
watching the others stepping into the circle.  And when those moments come
when I am called upon, I do not doubt that it matters or that I am the right
one.  By my own choice each day and each moment, I am ready.

~Chris