USB-sticks and WIKIS

Ted Ernst ted at chicagohumanist.org
Thu Jul 20 21:25:14 PDT 2006

Allison,
I am taking this back to the OSList because it does seem likeinteresting stuff for others.
Chat show is same as talk show?  Very interesting.
When I asked about the participants being referenced to you, I meant,"How much do they look to you as the person responsible forfollow-up?"  You seemed to answer that below, by saying that yourco-organizers were more in that role.  I asked the question becauseChinarut (also CCed on this message) has been working with folks atWikiIndex.com on ways to use wiki to continue the fun after the AsiaCommons and he mentioned speaking with you about using the wiki forthat purpose.  I thought maybe your organization runs the wiki orsomething like that.  Sounds like the bottom line is that he shouldjust go for it and use whatever tools are there to continue to thework with other Asia Commons participants and others.
Interesting stuff about Nepal.  You know Michael Herman has worked there, yes?
And I really like the way you organized the wiki work.  Theconferences I've been at that used wikis were either working withtech-savvy people that didn't need as much hand-holding, or smallergroups where the experts could easily just coach the less-experiencedfolks.  It's good to read of how a larger, less-tech-experienced groupcan work this.
Thanks much for being engaged even while so busy!
peace,ted

On 7/20/06, Allison Hewlitt <ahewlitt at bellanet.org> wrote:> Hi Ted,>> Sorry again for the delay. It has been a hectic summer so far.>> I was going to respond to the list then realised that I wasn't sure> what you meant by 'how referenced to you participants feel> afterwards'. So I thought that I would ask you to elaborate on what> you mean by 'referenced' and respond to the other points below. I am> happy if you want to somehow take this conversation to the OS list and> will leave it to you to decide.>> (I should also give a bit of a warning as this is a long posting).>>> In response to your comments below...>> I am not sure if the way my business works is more 'formal' than> Michael (mostly because I don't know how he works) but I wouldn't> consider our business to be 'formal' (in the sense of running what I> would consider 'traditional' events). If anything, I would say that we> work towards un-formalising events ie. to un-conference them. The Asia> Commons Conference to which you make reference is a good case in> point. In designing the event, it was clear that there was a lack of> consensus on the conference methodology. Our co-organisers, both based> in Asia, felt that we needed to organise what I would call a> 'traditional' event ie. talking heads - keynotes and panels. After> much discussion (and a brief consultation with the OS community which> I have posted below), we came to a compromise - we left in the keynotes,> modified the panels to chat shows (see attachment), added a break-out> group discussion, introduced speed dating and did a spectrogram> exercise gradually working towards the last one and a half days in open> space. I guess the point that I am trying to make is that I don't> think of us a being 'formal' if you are talking about the way that we> organise events but some of the groups with whom we work (especially> those planning events in Asia) - tend to lean in a direction that I> would consider 'formal'.>> (As an aside, I should point out that the consultation to the OS list> was critical. The replies received gave me and the rest of my team the> extra bit of confidence that I think was needed to plan 1.5 days in OS> during the conference.)>> You ask about follow-up. I'm not the best person to respond to this> as I was invited into the event's planning process to lead in the> design of the conference methodology. I didn't have a plan for> follow-up - I believe that this is mainly the responsibility of the> project's three coordinators - but your email has reminded me to ask> my colleagues about any follow-up that they might have pursued. I am> aware of ongoing discussions on the participant mailing list that was> set up for a pre-conference online discussion as well as the (minor)> use of the wiki to outline and further develop post-conference ideas.>> One thing that might be worth mentioning is the interest and> excitement generated around OS by our colleagues in Nepal. I have been> working with a group of people in Kathmandu for close to 3 years and> have tried (unsuccessfully) to find ways to show them the potential of> OS in Nepal. They were convinced that it would work in North America> but had major doubts about its usage in Nepal where events tend to be> 'formal'. I think that this conference has really given them the> confidence to run events in OS. Follow the link to read their recent> experience of introducing OS at a large event in Nepal and their> thoughts on using OS in Nepal.>> http://blogs.bellanet.org/index.php?/archives/156-Will-Open-Space-Technology-work-for-Nepal.html>>> This entry might also be of interest. My colleague writes about what> sounds to be the successful application of wikis during the> above-mentioned event.>> http://blogs.bellanet.org/index.php?/archives/154-Making-Technology-Work-in-South-Asian-Context.html>> I am not sure that you will find this useful, but I will share it> just in case... following your request, I had asked my technical> colleague, Sarah, to create a blog entry on the use of the wiki at> Asia Commons. Her entry focuses on the use of wikis during the OS> session only but I should mention that the wiki was extremely useful> for documentation of the entire conference. It was used post> participant profiles, add resources ie. presentations, document the> sessions, outline conference methodologies. In Sarah's entry, I think> that she makes it quite clear how discussion report writing was> coordinated but if you have any questions, please let me know.>> http://blogs.bellanet.org/index.php?/archives/144-Open-Space-and-Wikis.html#extended>> Another thing that Sarah didn't mention was the role of the wiki in> planning the event. Our co-organisers were based in Delhi and> Kathmandu so having an online (and free) shared space where we could> co-create documents was a key component to overall project management.>> Hope this is what you are looking for. If not, please let me know and> I will do what I can to share more.>> And... before I go, congratulations on your first 'big circle walk'> (and thanks for sharing the roller coaster ride).>> Best,> Allison>>>> Dear All>> I am writing with a request for advice. I must also admit that I am> feeling somewhat guilty this as it is the 2nd (or 3rd) time that I have> written to this amazing group of people and I am asking for help,> rather than offering it.>> My organisation has partnered with 2 others to organise a conference> in Thailand which will bring together 150-200 people who are interested> in exploring the impact of copyright on access to knowledge and> culture in Asia, in learning about models which support collaborative> knowledge and culture creation and in looking forward in making Asia> Commons a reality. We have a planning team of 7 - each of us with a> lead role in organising the event. I am the lead for developing the> conference methodology.>> Since the beginning of the planning stages, the organising team hasn't> quite seen eye-to-eye on the conference methodology. Truth be told, it> is just me that hasn't quite seen eye to eye with them. We have a> conference sponsor who is funding the event, but they are hands-off> and happy, for the most part, to let us do the work that we want to> do. Early on, I proposed the idea that we organise the conference in> OS. My co-organisers and sponsor know and like OS but they don't want> the entire event in OS as they would like to bring in a few keynotes> and showcase the research papers being commissioned. I think that some> of the resistance stems from their belief that OS doesn't work well in> Asian cultures which I know is not true (and have shown them proof to> the contrary).>> So, they are willing to do one of the sessions in OS (possibly up to a> day and a half) but not the entire conference. I am trying to figure> out if it is worth it. I know that there are things that I can do to> minimise the impact of bringing in the so called experts for the first> 2 days. I have thought of a few things like the enquiry circle> (which I think would work), informal community conversations, the chat> show methodology (making the session lighter by inviting the experts> as guests in a chat show rather than asking them to do a ppt) etc.> BUT, I am wondering if I should continue to push for OS if it can only> be slotted in for a day especially if it follows 2 days which are more> keynote/presenter oriented. I think that it is taking a risk that I am> not sure is worth taking as I am not convinced that it will work.>> I would really appreciate hearing your views/opinions especially if you> have done something similar which actually worked.>> Thanks in advance.>> Best,> Allison>>>>>>> At 1:21 AM July 9, 2006, Ted Ernst wrote:>> TE> Allison,>> TE> No worries and no hurry. I'm not sure exactly what I'm asking.> TE> Michael Herman has been using wikis for open space proceedings for> TE> several years now, and I've taken part in some of those events.> TE> It always seemed to work well. Your business seems more formal> TE> than Michael's and I'm curious about follow-up and how referenced> TE> to you participants feel afterwards, and how they use the wiki afterwards.>> TE> As an FYI, I'm co-facilitating the open space part of WikiSym> TE> this August in Denmark. Good stuff.>> TE> Hope your travels are well.>> TE> peace,> TE> ted>> TE> On 7/5/06,  Allison Hewlitt <ahewlitt at bellanet.org> wrote:> TE>  Hi Ted>> TE> I am happy to respond only I am travelling at the moment and don't> TE> have too much time for email.>> TE> Also, could you let me know if there is something specific about using> TE> open space and wikis that you would like me to share.>> TE> Thanks for your patience.>> TE> Best,> TE> Allison>>> TE> At 12:58 AM July 4, 2006, Ted Ernst wrote:>> TE>> Allison,>> TE>> I've just been getting to know Chinarut and he's been telling me about>  TE>> the Asia Commons experiences with open space and wikis.Could you> TE>> share something about that from your perspective?>> TE>> peace,> TE>> ted>> TE>> On 2/18/06, Allison Hewlitt < ahewlitt at bellanet.org> wrote:> >>> Hi Frank, Diane> >>>> >>> I am a little bit late jumping in on this but wanted to add to the discussion.> >>>> >>> > Frank asked: Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of >wikivs. floppy/usb?> >>>> >>> There was an interesting thread started by Lisa on the "Use of Wireless, wiki and other high-technology for documentation" on Sept 16, 2005. It may not directly highlight the pros and cons that you are looking for but it sounds as though it might be relevant reading.> >>>> >>> I have used wikis, floppies and usbs but lean towards wikis provided (i) the technical infrastructure is solid ie. internet access is not an issue and I have a printer in the news room and (ii) the majority of the group are comfortable with wikis. Unfortunately, I don't find that this is often the case so I most often end up using one or two usbs.> >>>> >>> Most of the reasons why I like wikis (the pros) have been shared by others except for one. My organisation (and many of our partners) promotes the use of FOSS (free and open source software) and technologies that nurture communities. The wiki provides both - it is an alternative to using Microsoft Office word to type up the reports and it is a living document in that others can contribute.> >>>> >>> We do have other options. I know of two - (1) using arich text file (rtf) format or (2) using alternative open office apps like OpenOffice (OO). These share one of the biggest drawbacks that I see in using wikis - there is a learning curve which, if not addressed, can be a great source of frustration for those unfamiliar with the technology. In addition, most computers have MS Office installed but not OO so the additional steps of downloading (for free), installing and testing OO on the newsroom desktops would be required.> >>>> >>> Diane wrote...> >>>> >>> DG> An alternative technology: In another OS,people from across> >>> DG> Canada were connected, not via a wiki but via a web site onwhich>  >>> DG> reports were posted as is and comments from anywhere about any of> >>> DG> thereports or about the OS theme could be given on a separate> >>> DG> page that was postedon the News wall. People were also invited> >>> DG> to have their own OS in regionsand to send in their reports for the Newswall.> >>>> >>> Can you provide more details about this. Did participants enter their reports directly on the website or did they type them up in some kind of word document and then have them posted on the website?> >>>> >>> If there are other options out there, I would be interested in learning about them.> >>>> >>> Thanks,> >>> Allison> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>> At 10:42 AM Tuesday, February 14, 2006, Diane Gibeault wrote:> >>>> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG> HiFrank,> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG> You asked: Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of wikivs. floppy/usb?> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG> The nice thing about the wiki is that it becomes like an OS on> >>> DG> line, achat room on each report topic. Participants on site or> >>> DG> other members of the organization notpresent physically> >>> DG> can continue interacting electronically afterthe group> >>> DG> discussion and even after the OS. I had participants from Los> >>> DG> Angeles and India connectedto an Ottawa OS.> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG> One draw back I found with wiki was in the naming of reports> >>> DG> especially with people usedto working with wickies. They just> >>> DG> went and did what they normally dowithout paying any attention> >>> DG> to the verbaland written instructions about naming the report.> >>> DG> This made it much harder to track which reports wherecompleted> >>> DG> so they could be printed for the Newswall and the Book.> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG> Also, other participants are ableto change the report before> >>> DG> the News Room prints a copy of the initiator's report that will go> >>> DG> in theBook of reports. On the printed version, there is no way> >>> DG> to see that someone haschanged the original report. This can> >>> DG> cause a bit of frustration on the part ofthe initiator who took> >>> DG> responsibility to communicate the group's discussion andcan see> >>> DG> his or her name attached - without their knowing - to a document> >>> DG> that isnot reflective of their work. On the screen, onecan> >>> DG> verify what changes have been made but when reading the reports> >>> DG> forconvergence, participants read from a hard copy - there isn't> >>> DG> a computer screenfor each participant.> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG> At another OS, reports were enteredinto the wiki at the end of> >>> DG> day only which eliminated the aboveproblem.> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG> An alternative technology: In another OS,people from across> >>> DG> Canada were connected, not via a wiki but via a web site onwhich> >>> DG> reports were posted as is and comments from anywhere about any of> >>> DG> thereports or about the OS theme could be given on a separate> >>> DG> page that was postedon the News wall. People were also invited> >>> DG> to have their own OS in regionsand to send in their reports for the Newswall.> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG> I am looking forward to hearing more about theexperience with wikis> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG> Diane> >>> DG>> >>> DG> Diane Gibeault & Associé.es-Associates> >>> DG>> >>> DG>  www.dianegibeault.com> >>> DG>> >>> DG> diane.gibeault at rogers.com Ottawa Canada (613)744-2638> >>> DG>> >>> DG> Facilitation and Training in Support ofTransformation> >>> DG> Facilitation et formation en appui ŕ latransformation> >>> DG>> >>> DG>> >>> DG> -----Original Message-----> >>> DG> From: OSLIST[mailto: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU]On Behalf Of FrankDeitle> >>> DG> Sent: February 13, 2006 10:45 PM> >>> DG> To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU> >>> DG> Subject: Re: USB-sticks and computerstation during OST + some more..> >>>> >>> DG>> >>> DG> Hi everyone,> >>> DG>> >>> DG> I recently attended the RecentChangesCamp Open Space in Portland.> >>> DG> It wasfacilitated by Michael Herman and we used an online wiki> >>> DG> to compile the bookof procedings (there were a lot of wiki> >>> DG> folks at the conference). This was thefirst Open Space I've> >>> DG> been to where we've even used the banks of computers soI have> >>> DG> nothing to contrast the experience to. Does anyone have any> >>> DG> thoughts onthe pros and cons of wiki vs. floppy/usb?> >>> DG>> >>> DG> Peace,> >>> DG>> >>> DG> Frank Deitle> >>> DG> * *==========================================================> >>> DG>  OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To> >>> DG> subscribe,unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives> >>> DG> of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:> >>> DG> http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about> >>> DG> OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:> >>> DG> http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist> >>>> >>> DG>* * ==========================================================> >>> DG> OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To> >>> DG> subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of> >>> DG> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:> >>> DG> http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.htmlTo learn> >>> DG> about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:> >>> DG> http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist> >>>> >>>> >>> ---> >>> Allison Hewlitt> >>> Bellanet International Secretariat <www.bellanet.org>> >>> Tel: +1 613.236.6163 x2393> >>>> >>> *> >>> *> >>> ==========================================================> >>> OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU> >>> ------------------------------> >>> To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options,> >>> view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:> >>> http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html> >>>> >>> To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:> >>> http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist> >>>>>>>>> TE> ---> TE> Allison Hewlitt> TE> Bellanet International Secretariat <http://home.bellanet.org>> TE> Tel: +1 613.236.6163 x2393>>>>>>>>> ---> Allison Hewlitt> Bellanet International Secretariat <http://home.bellanet.org>> Tel: +1 613.236.6163 x2393>>

-- Humanize the Earth!  http://tedernst.comOpen more space!  http://www.openspaceworld.orgHousing Co-ops in Chicago: http://www.chicagocoop.netskype: TedErnstjabber: tedernst at gmail.com