Reflections on Wikipedia and Open Space organization

anne stadler annestad at comcast.net
Fri Jul 28 09:50:09 PDT 2006

Hi friends:

Check out the New Yorker article on Wikipedia (in the current issue).  It
appears to be a example of transparent self-organizing ‹ an evolving
organization operating at the consciousness level of consensus reality.  To
me, Wikipedia¹s history at this juncture points up the necessity for
accessing higher consciousness (aka. Spirit) as the bottom line for Open
Space organizations.

As Spirited Work (an Open Space learning community of practice) evolved, we
were guided (1) to practice the Law of Two Feet as meaning ³take
responsibility for what you love² (one foot is responsibility, the other
foot is passion, responsibility for passion is love/ is Spirit manifesting);
and (2) to open inner space through whatever spiritual practices each of us
choose, in order that we could reliably act from higher consciousness in
discerning what we loved.  Rather than creating varying levels of
administration and rules (as has happened in Wikipedia), or lurching through
waves of sabotage and abuse, we learned the importance of practices
supporting individual and collective guidance, as well trusting that
disturbance is an opportunity for learning.  We learned how to embrace the
disturbance creatively to find out what truth Spirit was inviting us to
consider.

For those of you interested in Open Space organization, it¹s very worth
reading that article, and pondering these issues.

Blessings, Anne