How do you respond to unsatisfying experiences of "open" space?

Christy Lee-Engel cdleee at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 18:12:12 PST 2006

Thank you Harrison, Jack, Michael, Karen, Glory, Lisa, very much for your
considerate and insightful teachings.

I appreciate the reminder that our individual experiences and perspectives
of anything can be, often are, different from those of every other person in
the same "here and now", whether it's of the surroundings or the food or our
interpretation of someone's words.

And I am also taking to heart the good reminder that so much of the learning
is in the sharing. Because those disparate individual perspectives and
experiences are also aspects of some underlying seamless whole that we can
only enter into together.

I love the questions that you all offer--ones that I can ask of my
acquaintance who said she disliked Open Space because of particular events
she participated in, and also of my friend who facilitated those
events--that communicate a sense of interested curiosity and a little bit of
gentle poking to see where the stuckness was. For my learning, and theirs
too. (In my usual work, we call that kind of poking, "palpating for the
tender points" and then when I find them, I insert a needle right there!) In
essence, you open more space via your questions and invitations into future
possibilities.

and Glory wrote:

> *'What prevented you from using your two feet?' (smile, wink - delivered
> lightly)*

and I think that in the situation I was asking about, both were somewhat
true: as a facilitator, my friend tends to have an action-oriented agenda
that in this case went in a different direction from what some of the
participants wanted to explore; and the participant I spoke with did not
choose to step up and declare, or move towards, what she cared about. I
imagine that these are common scenarios.

And so I am curious to read your responses to Lisa's tender questions about
the scenario of what do you do when you trust the process (and you care
about that space and that client, but they're not "yours"), and you don't
have confidence (yet?) in the skillfulness of a particular facilitator?
Which I am holding in the same breath as Jack's invitation to love the
destination that resides in ... each (w)holy step.

Thank you again for your generous & thoughtful responses,
and Happy Red Fire Dog Year! (the first day of the lunar new year)

Christy
--
weblog: http://lifecultivatinglife.blogspot.com