OSONOS Hither and Yon (a little on the long side)

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed Jan 25 13:26:53 PST 2006

From: Tracy Boyer, Envision Halifax [mailto:tboyer at ns.sympatico.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 2:47 PM
To: 'Harrison Owen'
Subject: Re: OSONOS Hither and Yon (a little on the long side)

Harrison,
I tried to send this to the list but it didn't seem to work. I don't need it
to go there, just interested in contributing to the discussion, not sure if
this does. I think you have a collection of perspectives, here is mine.
Thanks,
Tracy

OSONOS Hither and Yon...

I think the idea of local focus is important for reasons of access
(financial / language) and even interest because of proximity (especially
being introduced to this concept for the first time, people need to feel
some sense of safety, maybe the wrong word, but this begins with support
from those you trust to invite and encourage participation).

I also think the International gathering is critical for bringing together
and seeing the depth and breadth of the movement as a whole.

I'm just wondering if the International OSonOS couldn't come together with a
stronger intention of harvesting what is happening around the world with OS
(maybe this is already the intention?). What are the patterns of activity,
change and focus? Perhaps there is also a way to visually capture this big
picture and relay back to create a sense of connection to the whole for all
the parts. I think the map on the world site is a great example of this but
more focused on who where, not necessarily what how why...hmmm - cool.
An international OSonOS could weave the threads of this movement together...

If there was an understanding of this being the intention, whenever an OS
occurred someone could come forward to attend or at least send information
along for the international event and larger harvest. Of course, online
tools and creativity could really facilitate a lot of this and I recognize
this is already happening but not sure if we're really getting as much
diversity as we could or a real sense of connection as a whole (i.e. who is
actively sharing, what could we be learning from elsewhere that isn't coming
forward - would a clearer intention/invitation open eyes?) Perhaps this is
getting too organized and controlled but at least whenever something local /
regional occurred there would be a sense, perhaps commitment of connecting
to the whole to later see what that big picture looks like.

The world map has been the best tool (for me) as a picture of the whole.
Maybe I'm just a visual person but maybe we could go deeper with this.

Could be that I'm also stuck in a perspective of forcing organization rather
than letting things self organize...

Sorry this got so long! I never did so well in my English précis exercises!
Thanks,

Tracy Boyer
Executive Director

Envision Halifax